Potholing!

John Morris

Got a lull at my day job and thought I'd just take a shot of some potholers and post out here 

IMG_20170830_103204804.jpg

My survey crew is on standby to locate underground utilities for the preliminary design stage of a road project. 

IMG_20170830_104805818.jpg

These guys suck the dirt up with that high powered vac, they'll locate the underground pipes, conduit, etc, my crew will shoot the actual location of those utilities for horizontal coordinates, and elevations, then we turn our data into the engineers.

This way we'll know during construction if we have to relocate the utilities or just be aware they are there.

Highs in the 107 degree range today, and it's humid! We are already drenched.

Cheers from the field!

3 hours ago, lew said:

Here in the northeast, we don't have to hire a crew to make potholes. Mother Nature does it all by herself :lol:

Lol, I know what you mean Lew - or at least I thought I knew what you meant...

Have you been to Canada?  Two years ago I drove up to Toronto and surrounding areas, from Niagara Falls.  I was totally shocked by the condition of the highways.  They were in better shape than most of our roads in Georgia - and a whole heap better than what PA & NY has to offer.  I also noticed that nearly all of the big trucks had their "helper" wheels down driving down the highway, something I very rarely see in the states.  I do not want to jump to conclusions based upon only limited driving around up there, but at first blush it makes it seem as if "our" rules for large trucks are pretty slack, allowing ever larger and heavier loads at ever higher speeds.  And I am also sure that the low bidder gets the road building contract too...

I think Mother Nature has been getting a bad rap all this time.  Hard to blame her here in Georgia, but our roads are constantly tore up "from something".

Cal

1 minute ago, Grandpadave52 said:

I love that song...:lol:

As sad as this may sound, I actually was singing that (to myself) in the shower the other morning.:D

I have never for the life of me heard that one, I gotta share this with the guys at work. They probably heard it though.

Just now, John Morris said:

I have never for the life of me heard that one, I gotta share this with the guys at work. They probably heard it though.

Well John, there's lots of stuff from Bob & Tom that probably shouldn't be heard period IMO and certainly not posted on this site, but this is one of their classics...

Bob & Tom in the Mornings, Q-95 (WFBQ) ; broadcast from Indianapolis, IN; also on i-Heart radio...

11 hours ago, clhyer said:

Have you been to Canada?  Two years ago I drove up to Toronto and surrounding areas, from Niagara Falls.  I was totally shocked by the condition of the highways.  They were in better shape than most of our roads in Georgia - and a whole heap better than what PA & NY has to offer.  

Oh, we have our share of potholes! But we also have a lot of Minis up here, so they fill up fast! :D

John

Archived