Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

It's interesting, they aren't using a drywall lift. Hoisting the 12'x5/8" sheets of rock up to the ceiling (10') on some unique sawhorses and then screwing it into place. The boss said it's faster without a lift unless he's working alone.

22 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

It's interesting, they aren't using a drywall lift. Hoisting the 12'x5/8" sheets of rock up to the ceiling (10') on some unique sawhorses and then screwing it into place. The boss said it's faster without a lift unless he's working alone.

Pictures?

Hey Fred this is awesome news...even better than a big picnic!:P From the sounds of things, you best be getting ready to unpack and to start powering up..."free time" is over:lol:

Well, I probably won't ask them to take pics of them working, but I'll have some after shots. They told me a few minutes ago that they hope to get the smaller room done today, then they'll be back Wednesday to do the larger room. The boss also mentioned he was really pressured to get here to do this..he must be a sub contractor to the drywall business. If they step away from their saw horses I'll try to get some pics of them, but they are aluminum, much taller than any I've seen (probably 4 1/2' to 5') and they have a tray that the rock where the rock is sat on edge, then lifted by the guys standing on the horses.

Yeah, Dave. Once this is done I can get the electrical outlets and switches installed, paint the place and start the move. Somewhere in there I'll have to install heat (gas fired ceiling heater) and insulate the attic...but all that is on the downhill side.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

OK, Gene...this is about the best I can do at the moment...guys went to lunch. Here's those saw horses, you see the ledge on each side which is (I guess) purposeful to sit the sheets on. Next (TA-DA) we have a ceiling...at least in one 1/2 of the structure.

horsessm.JPG

storceilingsm.JPG

Fred I meant to ask , in your build, did you include pipe for a commode and a sink now or later???  I included  the pipe in the foundation for later on when I could come up with more money but a week after I started using the shop I stopped everything and set a commode and a sink. They sure come in handy especially washing the glue off my hands.

I did not. That was the original intention, but I stopped short of having the necessary lines laid in. There is no doubt in my mind I will regret this later, since the incremental cost wasn't really bank-busting.

I didn't either and, have regretted it since. 

I reuse the wife's empty laundry soap containers for water. They're gallon sized with a spigot. Hung a gallon ice cream bucket on the spigot to catch the dribbles. 

And, it's just 20 steps from the shop door to the nearest bathroom. 

Still, I wish I'd have plumbed for a toilet and sink.  

Thanks for the pics, Fred.  Muscle power may be faster but, my back and shoulders ache just thinking about lifting and fastening those monsters all day long. 

Neat work, though.

Edited by Gene Howe

Sure looks like they are doing a nice clean job too. I remember a job we did years ago and paid the DryWall contractor piece work by the sheet. At the end of the day I stopped by to count the sheets,and they were waist deep in scrap. If they had to cut a sheet they would just bust up the rest and get another sheet. They covered outlet boxes as they went and cut half of them out later.  Where the range hood was they rocked over the wire and punched a hole and stuck a short piece of Romex in the hole to look like they pulled the wire through. And of course we had to scrap out the job when they were done, all they did was hang.

That is what happens when you take low bidder sometimes.

They are doing a nice job, Fred, the taper will be happy.

Herb

3 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Fred I meant to ask , in your build, did you include pipe for a commode and a sink now or later???  I included  the pipe in the foundation for later on when I could come up with more money but a week after I started using the shop I stopped everything and set a commode and a sink. They sure come in handy especially washing the glue off my hands.

Here you can't put a toilet in the shop, they won't issue a permit, They are afraid you will turn it in to an apartment later.

Herb

@Fred W. Hargis Jr...did they come back from lunch?:P

Yeppir, they got that room completely finished working until about 6:30 last night. I was in the middle of fixing dinner so only got out to batten down the hatches for the approaching storm. I'll try to get pictures later today of the room. They are supposed to return tomorrow to start (and maybe finish) the other room.

The drywall contractor (I think) plans to do the finishing. Another one I talked to said he would hire out the hanging work and do the finishing himself. The fellow who was here said he's done a lot of work for the contractor I hired...so it must be a common practice.

4 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

The drywall contractor (I think) plans to do the finishing. Another one I talked to said he would hire out the hanging work and do the finishing himself. The fellow who was here said he's done a lot of work for the contractor I hired...so it must be a common practice.

Not sure which I'd rather do the hanging or the finishing.:wacko:

21 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

At this point in my life, NEITHER! Although my wife and I did our entire house, but that was about 30 years ago.

John

3 hours ago, HandyDan said:

I do....neither one!

How sweet it is!

drywall2sm.JPG

1 minute ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

How sweet it is!

then some...