Transfer Switch

p_toad

1 hour ago, Nickp said:

A manual transfer switch will always have the potential of backfeeding into the street. 

I may have misunderstood the schematic of the switch in question, but it's look to me to have a lockout to prevent  backfeeding into the grid.

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 2.11.02 PM.png

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

I have the EmerGen Switch (paperwork attached) which specifically states that the rocker switches prevent "backfeeding" the utility. There is a minor design flaw with the unit though - the rocker switches are vulnerable to being switched by someone brushing up against them.  I found this out after my microwave oven (one of the circuits my wife decided was a "must have") suddenly stopped working. The telephone company had been in working on the phone/cable and the technician must have leaned up against the box and moved that switch to the "OFF" (center) position. The electrician (a friend/co-worker) had to fight to keep the grin off his face when he was over trouble-shooting the problem and had to tell me what the problem was. Fixed now with a piece of aluminum flat bent and screwed to cover the switches.

Transfer Switch .pdf

On 8/30/2017 at 9:42 AM, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I watched mine get installed, and they had to re-route the main feed from the pole to the switch box, then from the switch box to the main panel. This one is automatic, but I would think it would be the same for a manual....that's what insures no backfeed to the grid. I would at least ask for an estimate from an electrician. BTW, they had to break the seal on the meter to do that, which is a small can of worms in itself. The PO had a small portable that he had wired to backfeed to the main panel through a break...with a big label that said "Throw main disconnect first". I have to think that's illegal, it certainly is dangerous.

What your describing is for larger systems. This is a unit I've installed for about 30 customers and works very well. You need to do some homework on what your generator can handle and match the breaker sizes correctly. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HS2L3O/ref=asc_df_B000HS2L3O5168146/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B000HS2L3O&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167146984279&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5242200763483635963&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003650&hvtargid=pla-310347780217

I agree with Gene on this. You might know how to hook it up so it is safe and works safely, but if you were not at home and someone else was and tried to use the generator not knowing the correct procedure it might back feed. Or if you sell the house it would be wise to uninstall the switch as there is no guarantee that the new owner would understand the procedure to manually use the system.

I know that when I had my shop fire that burned down my house the fire inspector first checked if I had a generator hook up on the panel because that was where the fire started. The insurance companies are also  involved too, if you thoroughly read your house insurance policy it will likely have a clause in it that any revisions to your house must be up to code and passed by inspections, if not it can greatly effect the amount of the claim.

Just saying,

Herb

If a transfer switch is in stalled per directions and someone does not purposely defeat or damage the interlock it cannot back feed.    Switched one way it is for utility power the other way generator power.    it is a ON-OFF-ON type switch (some do not have a center off) It will not tie the generator and utility feeds together.   Trying to pick up all the loads at the same time can be a problem but all it would do is trip the generator breaker.  Roly