Finishing in the kitchen?

kmealy

I can't imagine anyone using BLO to season a skillet. Even so, I've had a couple over the years and used some of the methods she swears are flat wrong, yet they seemed to work for me. I had to give up our cast iron at our last house due to a glass top electric range. Same here, I hope to change to gas and get back to using cast iron skillets.

Yes, flax is the plant responsible for both linseed oil from the seeds and linen from the stalks.

I'm pretty sure they are using raw linseed oil (article says she bought "organic" flaxseed oil, probably at a health foods store).

The other thing I've heard of using is beeswax.

Like I said, the kooks come out of the woods on things like this.

Wonder if bear grease works?

There was a lot of cast iron seasoned before  Organic Flaxseed oil came to be.

My mom had a set of different cast iron skillets that she seasoned long before I came along and I am sure she used one of the unaccepted methods. The first donuts I ever had were fried in a cast iron skillet in lard.

Herb

And sawdust in the dairy -- http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/judge-tosses-out-nearly-50-lawsuits-about-wood-pulp-parmesan-cheese

My BIL worked for a while at a bakery that made "Roman Meal" bread.  The "cellulose" listed on the ingredients -- sawdust.

10 hours ago, kmealy said:

And sawdust in the dairy -- http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/judge-tosses-out-nearly-50-lawsuits-about-wood-pulp-parmesan-cheese

My BIL worked for a while at a bakery that made "Roman Meal" bread.  The "cellulose" listed on the ingredients -- sawdust.

Could you order Maple,Oak, or hickory flavored Roman meal?:lol:

Herb

19 hours ago, kmealy said:

Back in the 60's, a Russian gentleman told me that wheat flour was very hard to find in his country due to several years of poor crops. As a result, bakeries were using alternatives, and the most common item used was sawdust. Not by itself, but in combination with corn flour, barley, or whatever. The ongoing joke at the time was: "they're trying something different in the bread this week.... FLOUR!"

John