Bessey I-beam clamp question

39 minutes ago, HARO50 said:

Good to know, Herb. Rubber bands are cheaper than clamps!

John

This pertains to small irregular shaped parts that are hard to clamp. Rubber bands work fine on small boxes with mitered corners. By using blue tape to align the miters, just fold together in a square or other closed polygon and tape the corners ,then put the rubber bands on to apply a little pressure.

When I install small wooden handles on jewelry boxes, I find the center of the box ends and drill a small hole ,not all the way thru, Insert a round toothpick cut to length. drill a hole the same in the handle , put some glue on and insert the handle onto the toothpick and hold for a couple of minutes then let set for an hour. the toothpick aligns the handle and keeps it from slipping when pressed into place.

Herb

• 2 weeks later...

After many years of woodshop experience I have come to be an avid champion of Bessy style clamps------yes very expensive but if interested in easy and satisfying clamping experience, these clamps are it. It all depends on what is important to one---I found that holding back on some recreational experiences quickly frees up the extra cash required.----- also after many glueup problems that most applications require only modest pressure

On 9/15/2017 at 11:32 AM, Marv Rall said:

After many years of woodshop experience I have come to be an avid champion of Bessy style clamps------yes very expensive but if interested in easy and satisfying clamping experience, these clamps are it. It all depends on what is important to one---I found that holding back on some recreational experiences quickly frees up the extra cash required.----- also after many glueup problems that most applications require only modest pressure

Recreational experiences?! For me, that would mean no internet or Xbox 360! I wouldn't be able to talk to you guys or save the world when you guys are safely sleeping!!!

Don't know if anyone mentioned this but M & T are long grain to long grain joints that are structurally sound when glued together.  

If you force fit the tenon into the mortise you force most of the glue out and create a very weak M & T joint.  As others said a light mallet tap should get them to slide apart with that in mind the glue will not be forced out but will properly set up on both surfaces and make the strongest joint (with some argument) that is known to man.  

The idea of the Mortise and Tenon joint has been used for thousands of years by woodworkers around the world to join pieces of wood, mainly when the adjoining pieces connect at an angle of 90°. In its basic form it is both simple and strong. Although there are many joint variations, the basic mortise and tenon comprises two components: the mortise hole and the tenon tongue. The tenon, formed on the end of a member generally referred to as a rail, is inserted into a square or rectangular hole cut into the corresponding member. The tenon is cut to fit the mortise hole exactly and usually has shoulders that seat when the joint fully enters the mortise hole. The joint may be glued, pinned, or wedged to lock it in place">M&T joint is that it is rigid and the glue then holds it in place . Driving it together could well lead t early failure by crushing the wood or splitting the mortise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...