Need some advice

and where else would I go for excellent replies. I'm putting the front steps on my shop. I bought pre-cut stir stringers  and the photo shows where I'm at so far. I dug the hole about 20" +/- deep, and filled it with crushed gravel. I put the gravel in a little at a time and packed it so it's fairly solid. I'm still trying to get the right level to put the stringers in. Now for questions. Without input, my plan would be to set the stringers on the gravel base and fasten them to the foundation. For the foundation I would probably take 2x6 treated pieces, drill holes into the concrete and anchor SS hex bolts. These would then hold the 2x6 treated pieces as ledger boards, and I would screw the stringers to them. So, am I OK just setting the stringers on the gravel? How about securing them to the concrete? BTW, there are 3 stringers for a 36" wide stairs, and the treads will be 2x stock. They will be open steps, no risers. Now to hear from the experts......

steps sm.JPG

set them on top of a cap block and not directly on the gravel...

I believe those are cap blocks in the upper right hand corner of the photo...

also, put a barrier between the block and the stringer like that self stick bituminous window flashing...  several layers of it and you will be golden...

same for any wood contact to any concrete anyplace...

those stringers are only UC1 or 2 at best and you need to cover your bases...

PRESSURE TREATED WOOD -USE CAUTIONS.....pdf

Edited by Stick486

Lew, what you drew was very close to what I was planning. The difference being that my thinking didn't have the notch in the stringer for the ledger board. The stringer would just be on the side of it, screwed in with heavy screws. OK, new plan based on the input here. I'll put a 3' ledger board across the concrete with the SS bolts I mentioned earlier. The stringers will be fastened to it (method undetermined at this point, but I'll choose between the Simpson ties and just screwing then on from the back of the ledger board. I'd do what Lew suggested, so the things I can do are fairly limited to whatever my miter saw can handle. Then for the base I'll have to evacuate some of the crushed gravel, but I think I can make room to put cap blocks between the stringers and the gravel. That's more additional work (redoing the gravel) than I wanted, but sounds like a good idea. I'll try to come up with the moisture barrier and put it everywhere as well.

Just an observation on my part Fred, but if it was me, I'd return the stringer on the right with the big knot particularly where it's located. If that's not possible I'd certainly make it the middle stringer versus one of the outside.

My $.02...Stick & Lew pretty well have you covered on all other aspects.

The other thing I have always done on the front of the stringers away from the wall. Add a recessed peice where you can put fasteners down between the stringers.  That way if they want to spread away from the foundation you have another peice holdling them in.  It is not for structural support just to hold them square to the foundation.  Because of the gravel I would pound in landscape fasteners thru the wood into the gravel.

It anchors the first step and keeps the stairs from racking also. 

See Lew's picture add another stringer on the bomttom of the leading edge.  My sketch is not accurate but you get the idea.

image.png.0dd0fe3424b3fba24e236abd226aa0c1.png

Edited by Michael Thuman
More explaination

• 2 months later...

OK, this project got set aside when the drywall guys showed up (early, thank goodness), and then several other things interrupted any progress I might have made. So with the warm spell we're having I got back to it. I was able to incorporate most of the advice I was given, and didn't want you guys to think I ignore what's suggested. So I bolted a ledger board to the concrete (membrane between it and the 'crete), put the cap blocks on the bottom of the hole and sat the stringers on then( membrane there as well). BTW, I returned the one stringer that someone said looked a little weak and replaced it...though most of them were not of the highest quality. Lastly I put stretchers between the stringers, at the top and bottom...the bottom ones are off the gravel and serve to keep things aligned. The pic shows the stretchers on the left side, but I hadn't put them in on the right side yet.At this point everything is done except the steps themselves, which I need to go get tomorrow (probably 5/4 deck boards). I laid some 2x6 stock across the stringers and walked on it...it's really solid. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

stepslast copy.JPG