Too much detail

honesttjohn

My wife has a co-worker who had the bright idea to have a family tree carved for his 80 yr old father's birthday.  So she volunteered me to do it, without asking, I might add.   Only it had to be designed, cut, finished, and shipped to OK in less than a week.  I did the first design and cut, didn't like it, so I did a second  tree with the names carved in it and didn't like the way the text painted.  Didn't look good, especially for a special gift.  The tree actually had too much detail in it and the carved text just didn't work.  If it doesn't look right, it doesn't get past the fire pit.  I had to go a different direction but it involved a whole new design file with different  platform depths  (thanx MEBCWD for the idea) which would take more time that I didn't have.  So, on to plan C.  Cut it Suday morning, managed to go to a social function (she had it planned for weeks - had to go) Sunday afternoon, finished the text and profile cut when we got back home Sunday nite (late -  but didn't plan to stay that long  ........ riiiiight), painted the text with acrylic, let it dry, sanded it all out, and used spray lacquer (4 coats) since poly took too long to dry between coats.  Had it ready for her to take in Monday morning.  She said he was satisfied and understood why the other one didn't work.  I think I paid to do this one, but ........... I learned a few things, including  how catnaps on the couch  don't take the place of sleeping in one's own bed.

The tree was the same one I tried to carve and finish names in, only  about 4 times bigger.

599cb92fab510_FullSizeRender(157).thumb.jpg.d36c2c394e23b67c42ce794dadc08d48.jpg 

Okay John I slept since we emailed back and forth about this project and now I have a solution to save the original tree carving so you won't have to do the Open Book ... yes John it is a little late for that now isn't it.  See what happens when you ask me questions when I haven't had any sleep.

The Open Book idea turned out great and I like the font better than I did the other night, it actually goes well with this design because it looks more like it was hand written where a fancy font would have been too much.

Nice save!  Turned out great and I'm sure it will be well received.