Balcony and Shade Structure

John Morris

4 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Good job, family. 

I won't hassle you about codes. But, I do hope your using California carcinogen free paint.:lol:

Ok, that's it Gene!!!! You had to go there didn't ya!!! :lol:

Lowes Valspar high heat exterior grade I guess is what you call it. I am sure if Lowes is selling it, here in CA, it's good. Oh how I yearn for the days of oil and lead!

You are off to a splendid start John.  What did you do regarding the painting difficulties you were having?

Now that it is "after the fact", I might have used a paint sprayer.  Even one of those cheap ones, that would have laid down a thinned first coat to seal in the loose/fine fibers.  Then a good second coat rolled on.

Don't know why it took me a week to think of that...

Cal

7 hours ago, clhyer said:

Now that it is "after the fact", I might have used a paint sprayer.

I had thought of that Cal, but I have had bad luck with the cup sprayers for paint work mostly due to my own misuse of the sprayer or lack of reading instructions I am sure. I have a commercial airless that have owned for years, I thought of breaking that out but it atomizes paint pretty good and our neighbors would have had issues with that one. But the smaller cup sprayers I did think about, but like I said, just had not had that much luck with it.

Truth be told, this was a great experience for mom and the kids, they all got to have a roller, and go to town on this, and while rolling out paint they had some good life discussions, it was a neat family project for them. Funny how it all works out after all right?

43 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Looks great so far John...thanks for taking us along the trip...OK breaks over (for both of us) time to get back to work:P

Gramps, I am taking today off, for once! I am just going to have fun today. I'll be on here in and out, playing with the kids, watching a good movie, help mama cook dinner, turning out to be a pretty good day.

2 hours ago, John Morris said:

Gramps, I am taking today off, for once! I am just going to have fun today. I'll be on here in and out, playing with the kids, watching a good movie, help mama cook dinner, turning out to be a pretty good day.

ahhhhh..

retirement practice...

way to go John...