Because I can rip the occasional beam when I need too, or 4x4 post, in one pass! The lumber I am using for our new balcony and patio structure is roughsawn full dimension. My 4x4's are 4" by 4". Love it!

I have a small beam I needed to rip an inch off, my 12" TS cutting limit is 4.25 inches in one pass. Plus the 5hp helps too. You see me pushing hard at the end, it's more to do with the fresh paint on the beam, was grabbing the workbench surface.

6 minutes ago, John Morris said:

You see me pushing hard at the end, it's more to do with the fresh paint on the beam, was grabbing the workbench surface.

Might have been pinching some too John...noticed the beam dropped quite a lot once over center from saw table to out-feed table.

It appears there is an inch or so height  difference between the two. Near the end of the cut the blade barely extended through the cut...not picking...just an observation.

John, two suggestions. Fix that out feed table before it causes a big nasty problem and second, a push stick of some kind would look better when doing a video.

Also ripping pine will cause more problems than all the rest of the woods on this planet. 

Edited by Smallpatch

22 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

John, two suggestions. Fix that out feed table before it causes a big nasty problem and second, a push stick of some kind would look better when doing a video.

Also ripping pine will cause more problems than all the rest of the woods on this planet. 

Thanks Jess, out feed table been that way since 2005, long story, it's just one of those things, and I have come across virtually every situation using it, I am accustomed to it.

Push sticks don't too well on big ol beams, my hands were plenty clear of the blade. As a matter of fact, I would go as far as to say a push stick would be more dangerous on large timbers. I certainly don't feel right using a pushstick on timbers, but that's just me. If it feels safe, it usually is, if it don't, never follow through.

Thanks Jess!

John I also never use a guard or a splitter and my first table saw a 10" was in 1960. And happy to say a table saw has never brought any blood out of me. I also have a 12" but it has a 10" blade on it and always a big sled for it is only used for cross cuts. A hammer has been meaner to me than all the other stuff I own.

IMG_9294.JPG.eaf613a859bf89d05aba88ca584787b7.JPG

These Grizzly magnets are what I use along with my model airplane wheels to keep the wood pushed up against the table saw fence. The long one is good for a stop when cutting lots boards the same length.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, BillyJack said:

You really need a riving knife on that saw. We have a 12" Powermatic at work. The  blade is farther from blade to front edge than on the 10" saws. Is it deeper on the Griz?.  On 3 1/2 we can use the saw otherwise we go manual...

Welcome to the community Billy!

Ya, my Grizz has a max cut of 4". Pretty convenient when needed. But I'd sure love that PM 12" you got at work, ya wanna trade! :D

We had a Delta 14" at a carpenter maintenance shop I worked at years ago, I loved that thing, 7hp 3ph, she was a beaut, don't remember the depth of cut on it.

We have a Altendorf,SC3,Delta Unisaw and a couple Powermatics 66,72 or 77 for sale.. Can't remember off hand the Powermatic sizes. Either 72 or 77 everyone there hates it:angry:.We will switch it out for the 66... The Powermatic 66 was switched for a SawStop and the Powermatic 72 or 77 will be switched for the 66..We have a Powermatic 126 we are looking for a riving knife for as well or sell...

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0313.jpg

2 hours ago, BillyJack said:

We have a Altendorf,SC3,Delta Unisaw and a couple Powermatics 66,72 or 77 for sale.. Can't remember off hand the Powermatic sizes. Either 72 or 77 everyone there hates it:angry:.We will switch it out for the 66... The Powermatic 66 was switched for a SawStop and the Powermatic 72 or 77 will be switched for the 66..We have a Powermatic 126 we are looking for a riving knife for as well or sell...

Where feasible, are you guys switching out your saws for Saw Stops? For safety reasons?

The SawStop is in my area so I can keep an eye on it and  stop the occasional poor usage by untrained users.

The Powermatc 72 or 77 along with the Powermatc hps-126 will eventually be replaced by a beam saw and gang rip saw. We had a serious kick back the other day on the Powermatic 126 and looking for the riving knife and assembly used or new...

20 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

The SawStop is in my area so I can keep an eye on it and  stop the occasional poor usage by untrained users.

That's a great thing, the SawStop despite the controversy that surrounds it, is a wonderful safety feature, even for the trained. Are you guys happy with the performance of it, or have you had a chance to use it?