Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

The Patriot Woodworker - Custom Theme (testers needed)

Rate this topic

@schnewj, I am very happy to see you using the custom theme. 

The custom theme is much better for visually challenged users, the contrasting is far better than the default theme. 

I love your combination of colors and background!

7 minutes ago, John Morris said:

@schnewj, I am very happy to see you using the custom theme. 

The custom theme is much better for visually challenged users, the contrasting is far better than the default theme. 

I love your combination of colors and background!

Thanks, John. It's what works for me. Everyone is different. Technically, black on a white background is the easiest to see for MOST people. Again, everyone is different. The fact that you are bending over backwards to accommodate those that have a difficult time, visually, is a testament to how great this site is. Other forums just wouldn't be bothered and would have a take it or leave it attitude...not here.

Thanks, again, for all of your hard work to make this site great.

John, If you select the Black Header and black background as a default for the site, does that mean that the other choices will still be available or that they will be eliminated completely?  In other words is there going to still be individual choice to the theme by way of the "Custom" feature?

Just curious,

Herb

12 hours ago, schnewj said:

Thanks, again, for all of your hard work to make this site great.

It's takes all of us Bill! From us admins, to forum hosts to members and guests, take one away from the equation, we fail.

Thanks so much for the kudos, they are greatly appreciated!

12 hours ago, Dadio said:

John, If you select the Black Header and black background as a default for the site, does that mean that the other choices will still be available or that they will be eliminated completely?  In other words is there going to still be individual choice to the theme by way of the "Custom" feature?

Just curious,

Herb

Herb, there will only be one theme once the choice is made, it will be a nightmare to maintain and support two themes, there are many dynamics involved in doing that.

So we have the custom theme, and the light theme.

If you all choose the "Custom Theme", then you will be able to have a theme that you can customize always. The paint brush and image icon for backgrounds will always be available.

The "Light Theme" does not have those features.

So advocate and promote, for the theme you want to keep! The vote will come soon!:)

Now I am confused. If we have the custom theme, then we can have any of the colors and back grounds including the light? So why have a vote? We could just change our screens to what ever we want, Black on Mon., work bench Tues., woodpile Wed., lathe on Thurs., Ecru  on Thurs, Hand tools on Fri. Also that would apply to he paint brush colors.?

I thought you were talking about  picking one background and one color period, no background  options ,no paint brushes.

Herb

it was vote as to which one to set to the default theme...

Well, my vote goes for custom theme.  Like Herb said above, if you like the light theme - you can set the colors to be the light theme.  For the rest of us we can have the colors we wish also.  I don't know about paintbrushes and icons, haven't fooled with them.

Cal

There are two themes, if you look at the original post in this topic, you will see a choice between two themes, the custom, and the light.

We are going to choose one or the other.

Whichever one gets chosen, the other will be taken down.

Thanks guys!

+1 what Gene said,

I still don't understand, just change the default to custom and people can use the back ground icon and paint brush to make it the light one if they like that better.  Why vote?

Herb

1 hour ago, Dadio said:

+1 what Gene said,

I still don't understand, just change the default to custom and people can use the back ground icon and paint brush to make it the light one if they like that better.  Why vote?

Herb

Herb, there are two themes. If you go to the bottom and select the light theme, it is a completely different theme than the custom. Many here are still using the light theme. 

You are using the custom, so is Gene. It's called custom because you guys can switch the colors and background. 

The light theme is non-customizable. 

My Point is ,John,

if you go to the custom, then those that like the light can change it to the light by using the screen icon and paint brush. The only difference i see is the the sign on button on the light is upper RH side and in custom is on the LH side. I must be missing something.
Herb

27 minutes ago, Dadio said:

My Point is ,John,

if you go to the custom, then those that like the light can change it to the light by using the screen icon and paint brush. The only difference i see is the the sign on button on the light is upper RH side and in custom is on the LH side. I must be missing something.
Herb

I got your point Herb. And I agree completely. But, there are two themes, and the theme that many are on now, is not the "Custom". The original theme that comes pre-packaged with our forum software, is the "The Patriot Woodworker Light". I only called it light for lack of a better name and the theme is over all light in color.

The custom theme, that you and I love, many are not on yet. They either have not figured out how to activate it, or they don't like it.

That being said, there is a difference between the two themes, they are completely different really, made by two completely different programmers. The reason why we are here today figuring out which one to keep, is because the theme that comes pre-packaged (The Patriot Woodworker Light) many of you did not like, this or that was wrong, the colors were bad, the text was hard to see, the menu was hard to see, the colors looked bad and more.

So I went out and found a developer who could build us a theme that you all would have more control over, thus the advent of "The Patriot Woodworker Custom" theme.

So we will have to vote to keep either the Light, or the Custom soon. We cannot keep both themes, to maintain both would be a nightmare for me. So we need to choose, Light, or Custom. I completely agree with you, folks could login with the custom theme, and change the color to light if they wanted, but that is not my call at this point. The point you are making is a great argument to those who have yet to come over to the Custom theme. I would love to invite folks over to the Custom theme, and have them test drive the colors and backgrounds, it is really an awesome theme that I feel addressed all the complaints.

What is perplexing, most of the folks who complained about the pre-packaged theme "Light" are still using it, even though we went out and spent time and treasure on the "Custom". Hmmmm.

So, yes, I am in agreement with you, why would folks stay with the "Light" theme, when they can use the custom theme, and have control over their color schema. You got me my friend! :)

Thanks Herb, I hope my long winded recital cleared some things up. Or made it more confusing most likely! :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me , John,  it takes awhile for me to get things through my thick head.

Can you just change it to Custom and then instruct those that want the light how to customize it to light? They might find that Red or Blue suits them better if the play around with the colors.

I like the black because it seems more sharp to my eyes, and it gets rid of the ghost buttons that I think are inactive but still work.

Herb

Herb

Edited by Dadio (see edit history)

OK for most of the past 5 or 6 days, I've been switching from the Light Theme to the default setting for the Custom Theme. Each day a little longer on the Custom. My preference is still the Light theme mainly from a familiarity to the page before the major upgrade, BUT I am open to the Custom Theme as the only option. I'll learn to adapt as needed in the same manner I initially adapted as a newbie to this site.

As @Chips N Dust says in his signature line..."Change is good as long as everything stays the same." If the best option is only one theme from a maintenance and especially cost standpoint, then the Captain at the helm should do what's needed to minimize cost and double effort. I'm not going to take a knee over the colors of the life boats especially in the middle of the sea.:lol: