The old Craftsman  let me down tonight..:angry:

Motor stalled out....even under NO LOAD!.....

Motor is a double-ended one, has a plastic cover over the un-used shaft.....always filled up with dirt...got rid of that.

Thrust bearings were worked over....since I was tearing the saw down, anyway

598fe8ddc63c4_openedup.jpg.cc2fb52c92ea5604eb4bff12449298d4.jpg

Yep, nasty looking.   There IS a trash bag back there...will be full tomorrow...Drive wheel lost the tire a while back...

598fe951b657e_tiresandblade.jpg.db237419191201a8959108d345fadfa7.jpg

Might as well install these, as well.    IF I hand spin the drive wheel to start the saw up......it will run at normal speed....if I don't, it barely turns, and hums.....air compressor Sunday to blow out the motor...hoping it is just dirty contacts...

Grabbed an old file, once I had the drive wheel spinning..and cleaned the crud off the surface.....a bit of vibration in the system....Did a little "balancing"   with the file, taking out most of the wobbles..  even on this little pulley..

pulley.jpg.bdd730e8872a86daf75fb1aceeae6ba7.jpg

Acts like there is too much tension going on...yet the belt does flop around a bit....

598feae545ade_lowerbearing.jpg.b5a9af1b3503b4b941c2fad6310b9ad4.jpg

This thing was frozen in place....hammerdrill and PBlaster to even move the bolt....bearing was stuck....wasn't in the mood for "Stuck":angry:

Visegrips to hold the center ring...wire wheel and normal wheel on the grinder to get it spinning again..freely.  repeat with the upper one..

598feb951fa4a_upperbearing.jpg.7dcb43c7ffab69d045d741f1c4310dfa.jpg

Gave up  for the night.   Need to boil some water Sunday, and get the tires to STRETCH enough to go on the lower wheel...wonder IF I should change out the upper tire...

Looks like Sunday has been planned out....

Was trying to rip two drawer sides to width......didn't happen.:angry:

10 minutes ago, steven newman said:

Will see what happens today.....I do have a "Back-up" bandsaw handy.....IF needed.    Won't need any BIG cuts done...for a while..

Dirty contacts?   

How long do you soak those new tires in HOT water, before you try to install them?

I think I soaked mine for about 15 minutes and then stretched them by hand before trying to put them on.

Does the motor turn at all when you apply power? I had a Craftsman radial arm that would get dust in the motor starter contacts. It would  just hum when turned on. The contacts were pretty easy to get to after taking off the plastic motor cover. I'd pry them open and blast with air. You can run some emory cloth between the contacts to clean them, too.

6 hours ago, lew said:

I think I soaked mine for about 15 minutes and then stretched them by hand before trying to put them on.

Per the Carter urethane skins instructions, that's exactly what I did, soaked in hot water for 10 to 15 minutes, they went on with no issues, once dried they shrunk on really nice and tight. 

Update: tire is on.  New blade, too.  I now have a "starter"  for the saw..

5990ef50859d3_sawstarter.jpg.b9b183010f0cb9507b8c9206879160f8.jpg

Junky old wire cup. drill is set in reverse.   I place the cup over a pulley..

pulley.jpg.237700892f89c1544111cb7234b4127b.jpg

And spin this up to speed....then turn the motor on....saw runs fine. then. 

Acts like there is a bind going on that shaft.....hard to turn.  No wobble, either. 

Have no idea IF there is a way to lube any bearings in there...

14 minutes ago, steven newman said:

As soon as I find out what size Starting Capacitor  the motor needs...I will see about replacing it.    Need to find enough time, and a few extra hands, to do the replacement..

I think You came up with a good work around to keep things going, Steven, til you get time to fix the motor. I do the same thing at times. When it comes to electrical problems I am a complete dud.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

20 minutes ago, Dadio said:

When it comes to electrical problems I am a complete dud.

Herb

To expand on that , I have burned up more than one electrical tester probing the wrong wires while set on the wrong function. Even when they read out, I don't know significance of the reading. Continuity is the only thing I understand, that there is no broken circuit. As far mas motors go I know the Capacitor sits on top, some have 2 ,but thats all I know about capacitors.

Herb

2 hours ago, steven newman said:

There is the "box" for the capacitor......doen't look burnt up, no paint has peeled from heat.   Maybe after I get these drawers made..I can dig around and replace it....

OBTW, I learned to unplug it first,VOE

Herb

Edited by Dadio