Rate this topic

Lew I bought that cabinet at an auction to bring home and have something to go by to build another like it. 

She seen it and said not on your life, no, I won't let you take it to the shop and take it all apart so you can get measurements. So right then she said we will get it off the trailer and move it inside the house.

I bid on it on line as it was at Fort Worth some 110 miles for me. Lots of this type of stuff were built with green wood straight from the saw mill so I was worried about lots of weather cracks in the wrong places  while in the drying process. They did tell me by phone is is probably mahogany or as close as the experts could tell. I bought two things that time and both are really crudely built but kinda neat. Like the auctioneer told me when I picked them up when you are building these things in the rain forest with very little power tools, this is how it will be.IMG_9234.JPG.dfb56702cf8309579ac1110b72b92cb3.JPG

There is not much finish on the wood. Up close the workmanship is seen lacking...but hey, I'm missing a few things also.

16 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

Lew I bought that cabinet at an auction to bring home and have something to go by to build another like it. 

She seen it and said not on your life, no, I won't let you take it to the shop and take it all apart so you can get measurements. So right then she said we will get it off the trailer and move it inside the house.

I bid on it on line as it was at Fort Worth some 110 miles for me. Lots of this type of stuff were built with green wood straight from the saw mill so I was worried about lots of weather cracks in the wrong places  while in the drying process. They did tell me by phone is is probably mahogany or as close as the experts could tell. I bought two things that time and both are really crudely built but kinda neat. Like the auctioneer told me when I picked them up when you are building these things in the rain forest with very little power tools, this is how it will be.IMG_9234.JPG.dfb56702cf8309579ac1110b72b92cb3.JPG

There is not much finish on the wood. Up close the workmanship is seen lacking...but hey, I'm missing a few things also.

Thanks for the picture!  For not using many power tools, they sure did a lot of carving!