Danl

Garbage Disposal

Rate this topic

After 8 years our Insinkerator Badger 5 chewed it's last morsel. We replaced it with the Insinkerator pro series. 7/8 hp and really quiet. Our local plumber bought it and installed for less than Amazon charges for the unit alone.

We don't have one but I've replaced them for other folks. I'd look for quiet, make sure there's room enough under the sink and a port for a dishwasher- if there is one.

Usually when I ask people which one they want, the answer is "the cheapest one". Not sure that's the best alternative.

5 minutes ago, lew said:

We don't have one but I've replaced them for other folks. I'd look for quiet, make sure there's room enough under the sink and a port for a dishwasher- if there is one.

Usually when I ask people which one they want, the answer is "the cheapest one". Not sure that's the best alternative.

Like tools, cheap appliances will always bite you in the end...so to speak.

Look at the ratings and they pretty much say it all on which one is the best. I had a GE years ago that was guaranteed to grind glass, never tried it out on glass but it did a good job on spoons and forks.

Herb

Insinkerator pro series.

Just a note here. If you are on a public sewer system the garbage disposal is great. If you're on a septic system,  a garbage disposal is not recommended, unless you have a grease trap installed. The grease from the garbage will clog a septic system

Another Insinkerator fan here, I wouldn't buy any other brand.

Thanks for all of the good advise.  We are on a public system.  Our disposal is not used much.  The current one is a Kenmore 3/4 hp unit installed 20 yr ago, is working fine, but is very noisy.  We are replacing the sink, so I though we might replace the disposal also.  Thanks again.

Danl

I'm of the opinion disposals should not be used.  It is not good for your pipes.  Plenty of water is needed to wash away the debris while and for a short period after use.  I think it is hard on the waste treatment plants too. 

2 hours ago, Danl said:

is working fine, but is very noisy.

run a lot of ice through it..

that trick is excellent cleaning trick...

20 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

run a lot of ice through it..

that trick is excellent cleaning trick...

We do that all the time, and after the ice, we through in half a lemon with peel. We have a lemon tree, they are always available on the ground.

8 minutes ago, Dadio said:

You mean I shouldn't clean my fish and flush all the heads,tails and guts down the disposal?

Herb

No, no, no, Herb- put them on the garden! Your tomatoes will look like red basketballs!

2 hours ago, Dadio said:

You mean I shouldn't clean my fish and flush all the heads,tails and guts down the disposal?

Herb

no...

turn 'em into plant food...

17 hours ago, Stick486 said:

no...

turn 'em into plant food...

Stick I tried that years ago and every critter from a mile around was digging holes in the garden at night.

Herb

On 8/9/2017 at 7:07 PM, It Was Al B said:

Just a note here. If you are on a public sewer system the garbage disposal is great. If you're on a septic system,  a garbage disposal is not recommended, unless you have a grease trap installed. The grease from the garbage will clog a septic system

a grease trap is a good idea on any septic system even without a disposal too. They are a dread to clean out though VOE.

Herb