OK, so today I listened to my wife and stopped at the new in my area Habitat for Humanity store.  Well, I ended out getting a Rockwell 15 inch bench mount drill press (15 090) and a Dewalt 12 inch sliding miter saw.  Here is where I am questioning my actions.  The drill press runs fine with the exception of the quill return spring.  The spring is missing.  I did a quick check for one on the net and they want about $65.  I'll check again and look for a used one. Other then that it works fine. Keep in mind that I already have 4 others and really don't need one.  I only gave a quick look at the Dewalt and decided to buy it.  When I got it home I noticed that the cord was not even present.  Someone had cut it off right at the rear of the saw.  What I originally saw was the rest of the cable as it snaked through the saw.  So now I am questioning is it even works.  I know it not a big deal to check I can just remove the existing wire and jump it.  The saw was not sliding on the rails so I had to adjust and lube (OK, so not problem).  I then noticed that the table was just flopping around so I disassembled the saw.  What I found is the aluminum casting had been broken at the pivot point and no longer worked.  So this requires some studying.  I am thinking that I can do a decent repair by turning a piece out of aluminum or brass and make a press fit on one end and a running fit on the other.  I will need to set both the table and base on the mill and bore the two pieces to ensure they are clean and perfectly round.  I may be able to Lock Tite the upper table section to the new piece as it is pressed in.  At least that is what I am thinking right now.  I really don't want to spend any unnecessary money on this project.  I guess the first thing is to make sure the motor works.  This is another project that I really did not need.  I already have 3 chop saws, but none are sliding.  I have a radial arm, but it is hard to keep in alignment so I don't use this either.

Its a good thing that I did not spend a lot of money, $50 total.  I just did not need the additional work.  I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Paul

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

Paul, by your own admission, you're a tool-aholic!:P That clarified, you know you couldn't leave those tools behind no matter what...one is usually never enough, nor two, or ten; it's always about that next one:D

Just accept the fact there is no cure, you're cursed and try to cope the best you can:rolleyes:

If I recall, somewhere on this site it has been established one is not a tool hoarder until one attains 25 of something...routers being the exception (I'll have to except drills too) and of course any type of router or drill bit, saw blades, most hand or measuring tools and pencils.:lol: Probably time to add on to one of your shops anyway isn't it?:P

Thanks guys for the support.  OK, so after calming down with some sleep I decide the first thing to so was to jump the wiring to make sure the motor worked.  Well it was A - OK.  I expect that the cord was cut so now one would use the saw in the state it was.  So after that I finished disassembling the saw.  As you can see by the three pictures just  what I am going to need to do.   At this writing I am finished doing the boring of the rough aluminum casting.  I wanted to make sure I have a clean and straight surface.  

Picture 1 is how it is supposed to be, and, #2 is how it is # 3 is the material I intend on using for the repair.  I'll take more pictures as I proceed.

Paul

000_1130.JPG

000_1131.JPG

000_1132.JPG

The weather is a bit unsettling right now we have high humidity and it has rained off and on. So I did work on the saw this afternoon. I also took some more pictures. Now I realize that this is not a machining site, but since the work is on tools I thought you folks would not mind.  I am at the point that I need to do some boring so I can recess the the nut and bolt.  Maybe I can do that tomorrow.  Anyway her are a few additional pictures.  As you can see in picture 2 the new part fits.  I noticed a very slight crack in the housing when I was boring the table so I did not do too tight a fit with the part.  Maybe the new part can be TIG welded.

Paul

000_1133.JPG

000_1141.JPG

000_1138.JPG

You guys are right I am a tool alcoholic and can't quit.  Do they have a TAA?  I really need it.  I am starting to do it with everything.  For example, I started playing a little guitar thinking that it would help my brain.  Well I now own 14 and I also have 6 amps.  I did sell a few and need to think about selling some more.  I also have 4 garden tractors and 1 small loader/backhoe.  As for space, I guess I do have more then average sometimes it is good and sometimes not.  Hey anybody know of any good tool deals.  Oh, I just remembered that I still have a Simplicity garden tractor I bought at age 16 (1965). The tractor was used a 1953 model.  I am the second owner.  I have been married going on 42 years, but only one wife and she has a lot of patients with me.

Paul

Edited by Fastback

Oh, I just remembered that I still have a Simplicity garden tractor I bought at age 16 (1995).

Hmmm, I am not a machinist Paul - but I can do arithmetic, at least the simple stuff...

If you were 16 yo in 1995; you have accumulated a heap of stuff in your 38 years.  Including a 42 year marriage!

It looks like you enjoy working on the tools as much as the chase.

For cheap tools, I am looking at this auction this week:

http://bid.bidderone.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/16142/

Cal

Edited by clhyer

Cal, I just wanted to see if you were paying attention:blush:  Actually, I was born in 49 so..... I am almost afraid to look at that auction,  I think that part of my problem with tool is I look at them and think I can fix that.  I may as well put all my equipment to use.

Paul

Edited by Fastback

23 hours ago, Fastback said:

I am a tool alcoholic

Ummmm...you really mean tool-aholic I think???...:rolleyes::P

Once smitten, no cure, no hope, no going back, however think of it more like protecting the environment by preventing tools going to landfills or as a "No kill, tool rescue..." or maybe even a humanitarian endeavor preventing people who should not really possess tools from injuring themselves or someone else.;) When you think of it these ways Paul, you move from boarder-line hoarder to hero!:lol:

It's always a good thing to do "tool rescue".   At our local restore they test all the equipment to see that it basically runs ok, but there's generally only maybe 7 days on big stuff like fridges, washers, dryers, etc.   Depends on your local, but i would talk to them about testing stuff first (and don't be surprised if they try to talk you into volunteering there).  :D

Gee Ron, I don't know what a Chandler head is. Are you talking about the boring bar?  If so Its a no name brand made in China.  I do have one made is USA that was given to me,  but I did not think is would be good in this instance.

OK, so I looked it up Chandler on OX Tool and he has one and showed how it works.  That is quit the head. The company is no longer is business, but none the less a great tool.

I have to tell you that I have a ton of machine tools and many were given to me.  What a shame that this country does not do anything anymore.  I guess if they did I would not have been able to get my equipment at such reasonable prices.  My neighbor a retired machinist gave me his Gersner (spelling) tool box because no one in his family was interested.  BTW, it was full of tools.  

Paul

Edited by Fastback

Hey P_toad, I juat saw your post and your right  (LOL) they had a sign up looking for volunteers.  I'd be afraid because I would end out buying everything.  I did ask about the drill press and they said it worked.  I failed to ask about the saw and that is my bad, but I only paid $15 for it.  I'll chalk it up to a learning experience and leave it at that, but I'll know better next time.  

Did not get a chance to work on the piece today but will try for tomorrow.

Paul

21 minutes ago, Fastback said:

Gee Ron, I don't know what a Chandler head is. Are you talking about the boring bar?  If so Its a no name brand made in China.  I do have one made is USA that was given to me,  but I did not think is would be good in this instance.

OK, so I looked it up Chandler on OX Tool and he has one and showed how it works.  That is quit the head. The company is no longer is business, but none the less a great tool.

I have to tell you that I have a ton of machine tools and many were given to me.  What a shame that this country does not do anything anymore.  I guess if they did I would not have been able to get my equipment at such reasonable prices.  My neighbor a retired machinist gave me his Gersner (spelling) tool box because no one in his family was interested.  BTW, it was full of tools.  

Paul

The Chandler head was originally patented and built somewhere area my hometown as I recall.  It is a fly cutter and you can bore up to about a 6 inch hole. Cool tool but I think you are correct that the company is no longer in businesses.