Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Ron Altier

Glue clamp question

Rate this topic

When glueing, do you use anything to keep glue off the clamps?  Can I use a spray, like Pam cooking spray or dry teflon spray? What about using a bar of soap? I don't want anything  that will penetrate the wood. I've heard that some use wax paper, but I think that would be bothersome.

I put Johnson's Paste Wax on mine every once and a while.

Depending on what I am glueing, I use wax paper (yes it can be bothersome sometimes) or I clean them up right after I take them off. The glue usually isn't to bad then.

saran wrap, wax, packaging tape, wax paper but never pam. silicome or teflon... 

those last three can really screw up a finish..

47 minutes ago, lew said:

What Kelly and Stick said.

Besides my fingers and t-shirt, what Lew said:P

On the clamp pads which are mostly non- stick material, I don't put anything on them. But on the rails and bars, especially on the big Bessey and Jorgeson Parallel clamps I cover them with clear packing tape. That way when the glue squeeze out drips on the rails and bars after clamping I just peel off the tape and toss it in the trash. The same goes for my smaller F style clamps.

use less glue..

less squeeze out..

less mess...

I'm on the wax paper bandwagon.

Another wax paper guy hee, although it's called "dry wax" and its the sheet stuff restaurants use (I guess, I get it at Sam's club). To call it bothersome is a bit of an understatement, but it's less bothersome than cleaning glue of clamp bars.

2 hours ago, Nickp said:

Glue stains look cool...very "woodshop'ish"... :)

SNORK!!

I'm with Allen on this one -- I don't use anything.  If I'm edge gluing, I put the planks on some cleats that I've put packing tape on to keep them from adhering to the work.  They keep the clamps away from the surface and thus avoid black spots due to iron+tannin+water.  And i have become accustomed to the right amount of glue to just get a few beads squeeze-out at the joint.

I cleaned mine up and smoothed with 0000 steel wool and used Johnson's paste wax. I'll have to check it out. I generally just scrape it off after drying. I'm usually wanting to go ahead and work on my project.......than clean it off before it dries.