2017 Total Eclipse, August 21st

Chips N Dust

14 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

We're way out from anything worth watching. Probably find the 100% on tv or You Tube. Or, maybe the radio.:wacko:

I'm sure there will be a full blow-by-blow narrative on the boob tube. Sit back in your favourite chair, save the gas money, lodging and food expenses, eliminate the risk of eye damage, and avoid all that pain-in-the- you-know-what traffic! All you need is a couple of mugs of your favourite beverage and a dozen donuts! :D Well, a GROSS of donuts if you live on a mountaintop in Colorado. :rolleyes:

John

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/17/2017 at 11:56 PM, HandyDan said:

I'm going to get the old welding helmet out.

I'd planned to do the same also Dan...Heard yesterday it should have a #12 shade darkness or greater  lens. Anything less, could lead to possible eye damage.

I think both of mine are #9's or maybe 10's...I checked at Rural King yesterday and everything they normally stock in #12 & above was sold out.

48 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

I'd planned to do the same also Dan...Heard yesterday it should have a #12 shade darkness or greater  lens. Anything less, could lead to possible eye damage.

I think both of mine are #9's or maybe 10's...I checked at Rural King yesterday and everything they normally stock in #12 & above was sold out.

Like I told my sister-in-law at lunch today,  you can look at it like you may look at the sun everyday.  Their precautions are for someone watching it in its entirety.  If you can weld a complete stick with a #10 lens surely you can take a look at the eclipse for a bit.  Sorry, I didn't mean to call you surely. 

I was watching the national weather map this morning and I think there are going to be some really disappointed folks that drove to some of the locations. Looked like the Pacific NW had about the best shot of being without clouds. There was another stoty about a gourp of Japanese citizens that reserved a whole resort near Portland just so they could fly here rot see the eclipse. The made the reservations in 2011......and here I have trouble planning dinner for tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

The made the reservations in 2011......and here I have trouble planning dinner for tomorrow.

I know that feeling Fred.

I heard a story last week on the radio about a couple who purchased several acres of land back in the mid 1970's within the Totality Zone somewhere in Oregon. He said it was going to be his 401k. Apparently he's renting out spots to camp/view the eclipse at some pretty good prices...

Just slightly beginning here a bit ago. Unfortunately, one tiny t-storm cell in the entire state...guess where?:angry: Thunderheads have built so basically no view of sky period...:angry: T-storms should peak about the peak time of the eclipse here...maybe in 2024 when we'll be in the path of totality...assuming I'm still above ground then:o

The birds are hitting the feeders right now like there will be no tomorrow...maybe they know something???:ph34r:

Gonna wait 7 years for the next one that will be closer.   Drove I-71 south for about 120 miles yesterday,   Lots of traffic, I don't know how much was end of summer, get kids home for school vs. eclipse, but lots of backups.   At least one "Eclipse or Bust" painted on an RV.   Stopped at equipment dealer today and he was told by SawStop that deliveries would be delayed for at least a week because of traffic in Oregon.

I stopped long enough yesterday to dig out my welding helmet and watch it.  While not in the path of totality, it was still a good show.  It took the sun down to just a sliver of a cressent.  It did drop the temps a few degrees.  Both of my young ones got good views of totality.

Hey, I like this stuff, what can I say?  It is cheap entertainment, not seen everyday, a teachable something or other if you have small kids, etc. etc.

Cal

Archived