MT Stringer

Putting the CNC to work!

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, 4DThinker said:

Looks like prefinished plywood.   I personally really appreciate that some company came up with that stuff.  I bought a sheet to use for some jigs I designed, and it was less expensive than a sheet of the same quality ply unfinished.  Perhaps the local market has yet to find out about it.   First sheet came damaged, and so they re-ordered it and had it packed between two other sheets.  The yard manager gave me all three sheets for the price of one. 

4D

Sure like to know more about that plywood. who makes it, product name, etc. 

And, MT, great job on those cabs. Your pipe clamp lift is neat, too. Care to share it's construction?

Edited by Gene Howe (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Sure like to know more about that plywood. who makes it, product name, etc. 

And, MT, great job on those cabs. Your pipe clamp lift is neat, too. Care to share it's construction?

I buy the prefinished plywood from a Houston area lumber dealer. Several species are available including birch that I am using and Maple, finished on one or both sides. I am using 1/4 inch for the backs, 3/4 inch for the boxes.

About those jacks. They work great. Sooo easy to adjust the height. I would set the level on the bottom shelf and turn one handle. My sweetie would watch the bubble and turn the other one accordingly. :) And even the larger cabinets just sit there with no wobble or lean to them.

I got the idea and inspiration from this website. Actually, I found the video first on You Tube. Note it is important to get those clamps. I have other pipe clamps and none of them will work.

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2010/07/02/super-wicked-awesome-cabinet-jacks/

Like those jacks, I could have used those a time or two.

Great looking cabinets Mike!

Fantastic job on your cabinets and I agree with a previous responder, a lovely assistant/model ta boot!

On 7/31/2017 at 1:01 PM, Chips N Dust said:

I have been thinking about 1 for a few years now myself. That is why I have been asking questions to get more knowledgeable about them and the processes 

Since I have had one in my shop for a couple of years now, I would like to put in a plug for the maker of my cnc machine.

Inventables.com

It's a smaller machine (1000mm x1000mm or about 30"x30") but with software techniques, one can work to infinite lengths in one direction. I have many times done engraving on 8' deck boards for a local restaraunt and have another to do today. Price is around 1600 for the macine and there is free software available or  you can use 3rd party software at extra cost, which I use and prefer. On thier forum there is even a for sale and trade section for used machines that folks have tried but just lost interest or other factors and are looking to sell. 

You do have to put the machine together but this is helpful in the learning process so if something goes awry, you can resolve it easily. 

Is it a high end commercial machine?    No.

But it will let one "get thier feet wet" in the world of cnc at a lower price point and do what a cnc should do. 

I dont work for them BTW but I do believe in the company. and thier customer service is top notch to say the least. 

Ok, End of shameless plug.