Rate this topic

Took a day off from the shop today.....yard sales were a bust....too nice of a day to go into the shop....Hauled the Boss, and my son off on a Road Trip...

Springfield, OH has an Antique Mall.....HUGE one.....8 big rooms of stuff....Number one rule...IF a tool is INSIDE a glass case...take a look, but keep on walking.

There was this one stall.....looked like someone had emptied both a Sears and a woodcraft tool section, and just piled it up on a BUNCH of shelves....Dug through over 100+ chisels....looking for a couple wood handled ones I could use..

597d316db5e45_2chisels.jpg.b7fcb7604372e1096173e8c23e1db83d.jpg

The wide one is 1-1/4", the other is 1/4"...$6 for the biggie, $1 for the wee one...

597d31e426c0b_notsharp.jpg.ca5eab5fe1f3fa1f97c4e5a3349e47a6.jpg

Sharp?   Not  even close.   But, we have ways...

hoops.jpg.09ca5a8b68d410221be034f9bc6500ff.jpg

Hoops?   Not sure IF I'd hit the little one....biggie has been hit a few times too many..

edges.jpg.9368a0ae743adfd221c84b1b591cde99.jpg

For $7 and change?   I think I can make do....Walked around in the place for over 2 hours,  and only saw about half of the stuff. 

Supper was at Five Guys Burgers.....then a nice drive home.....not too bad of a day...

Nice finds especially the 1/4" one...looks like a mortise chisel?

Apparently Springfield has this too...Springfield Antique Show & Flea Market

Looks like that would be worth a trip sometime...little pricey on admission IMO for the May & September events, but I'm a cheapskate!

More on the road stuff today...

Needed to fill the gas tank....wasn't paying the $2.36 a gallon here in town.....drove out to Huntsville, OH.....$2.04 a gallon.    Stopped in at the Junk-n-the-Box and did a bit of shopping.....entire shelf of hand planes....pass.     There was a large box on the floor "anything in the box- $1"

Ok, dug around for a  while....picked two items and paid my $2..

squares.jpg.2679420ceb9f293bbb80a92a17ff9ea0.jpg

Rosewood, Brass and steel...blades are 9" long.   haven't tried to check them for square, yet..

BTW on the shelf above the box, there was another, smaller square...$5?  Pass.

Had to take the Boss to the grocery stores, then back home.  

BTW....Pastor LOVED his new desk!!!!!!!!

Should this thread MAYBE be moved to the regular "Hand tools" section? :unsure:

John

1 minute ago, HARO50 said:

Should this thread MAYBE be moved to the regular "Hand tools" section? :unsure:

John

Yeah, probably...gonna guess Steven clicked on the sub-link by mistake...easy to do now in this forum especially after a day trudging through flea markets...:P

@John Morris...would you please move this thread...with @steven newman approval & awareness. Thanks in advance, Dave

Ok...plan today was just to rehab a couple items..

597fb8b511470_twochisels.jpg.42d97aa5d443331de432816347cd8a65.jpg

Cleaned them both up...did a bit of sharpening.   Got the hoop to fit better, and gave the wood a coat of BLO.   Was just going to do these two...

597fb938c3dbb_Squareone.jpg.f94fa838a8316676f481542ccb769b4d.jpg

But this 9" Square wanted cleaned up ( put it to use, later...)and then the other one..

597fb99e39361_trysquare.jpg.fd4fb6620014c87dd24be110426abaeb.jpg

Those are not paint spots....they be brass pins, they have to hold the brass edge piece in place..

brass.jpg.ce19ed0b54d31daaca965fc0eccd8e39.jpg

Kind of a "T" shaped thing.   Handles were given a wipe-on, wipe-off coat of BLO....got to thinking.....

597fbad4b14b8_fannedshavings.jpg.101b0426229f8eac23bc05604667b70b.jpg

Maybe I could do a little something today.......