Steve Krumanaker

So what about inventables machines?

Rate this topic

Are they a good option for someone just staring out? Can they do meaningful work? Could a person build one cheaper from scratch? Don't know enough about this field to ask more specific questions but I'm sure that will come.

Steve

Steve, what are inventables? Excuse my ignorance please!

1 hour ago, John Morris said:

Steve, what are inventables? Excuse my ignorance please!

Not a problem sir, here ya go  xcarve

I bought their smaller x-carve less controller to play with.   I already have a CNC Shark and a probotix Meteor.   IMO the belt drive strategy of the X-carve and smallish aluminum extrusions used leave it a less-than-useful CNC to get serious work done on.    When it first came out Inventables offered them free to many youtube woodworkers.  Many said "YES!", and did at least one video of themselves putting it together and making something with it.   I've seen very few videos from those same youtubers featuring their X-carve since then.   

4D

The X-carve like 4D say is a light weight CNC and is really not built for hard use.  If you are really interested in buying a CNC for personal use there are plenty to choose from that can be used for light production work and I think this would be a good starting point.  With the light weight machines that are constructed of thin light weight materials you might get frustrated because the cut will never be great cut and cleanup will be harder and take a lot longer than a piece form a good tight CNC.

You do need to balance quality of materials and design along with budget you have to spend but with all the new machines out there bust thing is to narrow the choices down to a few and do a little more resurche on the one you like.  That should weed out and cut down on your choices and make it easier to find the best fit for you.

I have seen some reall nice shop build CNC machines but ask yourself "do I really want to invest all the time building one or do I want to start carving as soon as I  can?".