Unfortunately this was the one picture close of the face.  I was thinking about the slots in the back.  To me it kinda looks like some type of bullet how it goes from wide at the bottom to thin at the top, but a paddle is not wide enough for that.  I think you right about the spring loaded top pin.  I might have to look into it.  

1 hour ago, lew said:

I wondered about that myself when you posted the picture. I'd like to see the paddle from the back side. The mounts may be set in slots. Another possibility is that the arched holders fit into holes that have springs- the springs would apply force against the coin.

I think it would be very difficult to get the clearance to drill two holes for the pegs in the larger hole.   I'm liking the slot idea from the back. If you do it with a circular cutter (saw blade, biscuit joiner, etc.) it will be curved.   Match the curve and it will slide in position. Put on some rubber bands and add some glue. </speculation>

You might be surprised at what you can do with few tools.

As for the coin...the (small) pin at the top is slips into a pre-drilled hole, the (larger) bottom pin has a captured spring keeping everything in place. The cups holding the coin might be a challenge. You will have to figure out a way to cut a groove in the radius. (I'll cipher on this and see if I can come up with something).

For the grooved coin holder: Without a lathe, I'd just start a hole with a hole saw maybe an inch bigger than the projected size of the coin holder. Then cut an appropriate size hole using the original drill hole as a guide.Then, on the router table, cut the groove with a slot cutter. There may be cutter available with radiused ends. Finally, finish the original hole saw cut. 

Of course, you'll first need a router table and a selection of hole saws. Maybe, a lathe and tooling would be cheaper....though, I doubt it.

4 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

For the grooved coin holder: Without a lathe, I'd just start a hole with a hole saw maybe an inch bigger than the projected size of the coin holder. Then cut an appropriate size hole using the original drill hole as a guide.Then, on the router table, cut the groove with a slot cutter. There may be cutter available with radiused ends. Finally, finish the original hole saw cut. 

Of course, you'll first need a router table and a selection of hole saws. Maybe, a lathe and tooling would be cheaper....though, I doubt it.

All of that makes sense, but since my wife just got me the table saw it will be a little while before I can afford to buy any new tools.  My Dad suggested searching pawn shops for a good deal which I may try but with 3 daughters it's hard to find $$$ in the budget for anything that is not a necessity right now.  Like I said before this project gives me a goal and a decent enough challenge to build towards until I can finish it.

Thank you to EVERYONE for the suggestions and help.  It's all going into the info file.  

On 7/22/2017 at 0:47 PM, Robert McMillan said:

All of that makes sense, but since my wife just got me the table saw it will be a little while before I can afford to buy any new tools.  My Dad suggested searching pawn shops for a good deal which I may try but with 3 daughters it's hard to find $$$ in the budget for anything that is not a necessity right now.  Like I said before this project gives me a goal and a decent enough challenge to build towards until I can finish it.

Thank you to EVERYONE for the suggestions and help.  It's all going into the info file.  

Wait until they're in college and then come back and tell us you have no money.  :D:lol::huh:

I have three daughters too.   Wouldn't have it any other way. B)

11 minutes ago, p_toad said:

Wait until they're in college and then come back and tell us you have no money.  :D:lol::huh:

I have three daughters too.   Wouldn't have it any other way. B)

... and go through 3 weddings and receptions.   BTDT.  

I have three daughters too.   Wouldn't have it any other way

There are five pieces of wood glued together to make the paddle width. 

The center piece is also the handle. 

Glue the next two pieces to each side. 

Drill the hole for the coin.

Drill the coin axis pin hole from either side.

Glue on outer pieces of wood and continue with your finish work.

The hole seems to be the size of the coin holder arc and there has to be something under the pins to keep pressure on the coin to keep it in place.  Maybe the space balls used in floating panel cabinet doors.

On 7/24/2017 at 7:57 AM, HandyDan said:

There are five pieces of wood glued together to make the paddle width. 

The center piece is also the handle. 

Glue the next two pieces to each side. 

Drill the hole for the coin.

Drill the coin axis pin hole from either side.

Glue on outer pieces of wood and continue with your finish work.

The hole seems to be the size of the coin holder arc and there has to be something under the pins to keep pressure on the coin to keep it in place.  Maybe the space balls used in floating panel cabinet doors.

Once I looked at it again, that makes total sense.  I guess I wasn't looking at the different wood tones.  Thank you.