Acrylic problelm

Ron Altier

fullsizeoutput_4f5.thumb.jpeg.b6b6e71554057e6f8633fcaf3649d4ea.jpegI started working on a piece that has acrylic on each end with Ebony in the center. First the Ebony had a hidden crack (very hard to see a crack on something so black) and part of it flew out. I can salvage it. Then the Acrylic has lots of small holes and a few bigger ones. It appears that the whole piece is full of faults.

Is there anything I can fill those holes with to get back to a smooth finish. I don't think epoxy will work, it can't take heat. Will CA glue and soda work?

fullsizeoutput_4f6.jpeg

It looks to me that it is chipping.  Take some 120 grit and see if they will sand out without new ones forming.  Acrylic requires very sharp tools and does not lend itself well to scraping.  It wants to be sliced cleanly with the tools.  I have found some acrylic that is just ornery and I have to sand it to it's finish.

Just now, kmealy said:

Isn't JB Weld an epoxy?     

According to their site, it can withstand 500° F. It must have some ferrous material in it, too. I recently used some to affix some old hard drive magnets to a desk lamp base. When I placed the magnets in a "puddle" of the JB it all ran to the edges of the magnets!

20 minutes ago, lew said:

According to their site, it can withstand 500° F. It must have some ferrous material in it, too. I recently used some to affix some old hard drive magnets to a desk lamp base. When I placed the magnets in a "puddle" of the JB it all ran to the edges of the magnets!

I'll bet that was a bit disconcerting at first.

It seems that this piece is jinxed. Each step I take presents a new problem. The top split out, then the bottom. This acrylic seems to be be a reject. It will cut as smooth as silk and the next color will chip out. I did get it finished......I think. If I can put the hardware on without a breakage.  I'll post a picture