Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! July 17th, 2017

Went to dinner with my siblings Saturday.  Went to the flea market Sunday morning.  Found a variable speed 8" grinder for $20.00.  It needs a left hand thread spindle nut.  5/8-11.  Going to try to find one local, hopes not real high.  May need to order one on line.  Work on the pen bases continues.  Getting real close to being done. 

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

I tripped over one of Phyl's larger flower pots and fell flat on my back. Knocked the wind out but, didn't seem to hurt anywhere. Sunday morning, getting out of bed was an ordeal. Walked it off.

Man Gene, glad you're no worse for the wear. Take care of yourself.

2 hours ago, HandyDan said:

to the flea market Sunday morning.  Found a variable speed 8" grinder for $20.00.

Sweet deal Dan especially for a VS & 8". If you have a Fastenal local, they can order if they don't have one in stock.

As for me, between Friday and yesterday it dried out enough to get all the mowing done including the ditches. Today will be working on a pair of string trimmers I picked up local off CL for $20...my 12 y/o Craftsman fried the piston last year. The recent purchases are 30cc & 31cc. Needed more oomph for fence rows/road sides than the pair of Feather-lites we use for the yard.

Also have a Craftsman (MTD) rotor-tiller I picked up last year for $20 (less engine) off CL. I'm going to install a new H-F Predator engine I purchased 3 or 4 years ago for another project but never used. Also need to pick-up and do some cleaning/rearranging in the garage after last couple of weeks projects. Remainder of week will be dependent on weather and extreme temperatures/humidity in the forecast.

1 hour ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Sweet deal Dan especially for a VS & 8". If you have a Fastenal local, they can order if they don't have one in stock.

Had to go to local supply house for some tool steels for the metal lathe.  Got lucky and got the nut there too.  One stop shopping. 

Saturday morning, I judged woodworking projects at the county fair.   Funny, but I ran into a kid at Menards last week and asked him if he was going to the fair.   When I told him and his mother that I'd be judging Saturday, his mom said, "Oh, you'll like the <name> kids."

Sure enough two girls of that <name> came and they were head and shoulders above the others, not only in their project execution, but also their general knowledge during the interview.   The younger one had a nice walnut table centerpiece that held silverware, napkins, and a flower vase (first year).   The older one had a beautiful walnut and ash jewelry box and cutting board (third year).  One of the more disappointing ones was the son of a "carpenter" who had built a box that had 1/8" of putty in the mitered corners and the finish was still sticky because he'd just put it on two hours before.

Today, I've removed the #*)@# wire shelves in the guest room closet that collapsed last week, patched all the holes, and waiting for help to move the replacement piece up from the basement.

1 hour ago, Stick486 said:

19:30 hours...

Monday is about gone w/ nothing to show for it.. which is fine by me..

Did ya' eat today? Did ya' get a nap in today? Did Milo and friends get fed today? Did you post on TPW today?

If you can answer yes to one of the above you accomplished something...if you can answer yes to two or more, the day has not been lost!:P

43 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Did ya' eat today? Did ya' get a nap in today? Did Milo and friends get fed today

no to all three by me.....

Milo takes care of feeding himself and friends quite well... very low maintenance dog...

and Milo apparently snagged his friends and went to hiding because of that thing w/ Gene...

well I did post some..

soaked in the hot tub...

finished a Cussler novel..

refused some work...