Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

Rate this topic

A few days ago I was eating at one of my favorite local diners. Suddenly a loud scream from the kitchen.

Waitresses running in and then some leaving the kitchen, unable to handle what they saw. 911 was immediately called and, and a waitress asked if there was a nurse available. Fortunately a nurse sitting close to me went into the kitchen to help.The restaurant immediately stopped serving customers. The ambulance arrived and quickly took him to the hospital. 

The chef, very experienced working with sharp knives every day, had cut his forearm and severed 5 tendons and a nerve. Surgery was performed, but whether he regains the use of his hand isn't known yet..

No matter what your skill level or experience, always use caution when using sharp tools.

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

Wow...that sorta' puts a damper on the day...lucky a nurse was there to assist...from the severity of that laceration, he could have bled to death rather quick. Hopefully reconstructive surgery will give him full use again but it's going to be a long road to recovery.

I'm always amazed watching chefs dice/chop vegetables the way they do with their finger tips just millimeters from a blade edge.

Good reminder though Al.

WHEW!!!

That seems like an odd accident, but I'm hoping for the best for him. I always marvel watching some of the TV shows and the way chefs handle their cutting tools....but i won't try to imitate it. I just plug along slowly while cutting things up.

Good warning.   I was working with a guy Wednesday and I was going to say something to him about putting fingers too close to where he was pneumatic nailing.   I didn't and 5 minutes later, he poked himself.   He left for another appt. and I was nailing a couple of hours later regretting that I had not said something to him when WHAM the nail was 3/4" longer than I thought was in the gun and it took a 30 degree turn and I got poked.

Only time I've ever seen a kitchen closed is when immigration raided a Chinese Restaurant that was hiring illegals and those on student visas.