PostalTom

Axe vs EWT

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Thinking back on the controversy surrounding Bosch vs SawStop:  How is that any different from the Axe carbide turning tools from Carter Products compared to Easy Wood Tools?  This sound to me like as much of a patent infringement as the table saw issue.  Taking a very brief look at the Axe tools, the only difference I can see is the shape of the handle.  Is that enough to constitute a different tool?  Jim, being an official representative of EWT, I realize you may be somewhat constrained on what you can say here, but I would be interested to hear your comments on this, as well as everyone else's. 

Quite possibly carbide formulation, grinding processes, shaft composition, methods of cutter attachment could all be different enough to negate any patent infringement.

I'm not a turner and haven't even held either tool, so I'm merely speculating.

Edited by Gene Howe (see edit history)
lew likes this

Easy Wood Tools have square bars on their Rougher, Finisher and Detailer, the Axe look to be round (I'm looking at Carter pix). The square bar is very stable. 

I haven't used the Carter tools but I'm guessing, as Gene pointed out, there's a big difference in the carbide tip formulation.

Edited by lew (see edit history)

I think Gene has hit on the difference. Not sure if either has a patient on them but have never looked that close. Sometime the difference in a good brand and a mediocre is the quality or type materiel used to manufacture it, such as a proprietary steel no one else has. As far as the quality of the Carter product that remains to be seen.

Gene Howe and lew like this

7 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Is that Carter the same outfit that makes the bandsaw accessories?

Yes it is. 

Gene Howe likes this

24 minutes ago, Gerald said:

I think Gene has hit on the difference. Not sure if either has a patient on them but have never looked that close. Sometime the difference in a good brand and a mediocre is the quality or type materiel used to manufacture it, such as a proprietary steel no one else has.

OK.  It still seems to me like that is less of a difference that what we saw between Bosch and SawStop, but then I'm not a patent lawyer either. 

What do you call sky diving lawyers?  Skeet!

Gene Howe and HARO50 like this

Round shaft square shaft is a matter of what the carbide tool is being used for.  Both have a purpose in my opinion.  Easywood carbide tips are very high quality compared to some I have seen and used.

Please don't misunderstand me.  I'm not looking for an alternative to EWT.  I've only used them a couple of times, and already I am a big fan.  I just think they might be getting ripped off by a copycat design.

Hey Tom...  thanks for posting this.

First of all there is no patent infringement.  There are more than a few copycats out there...  Rockler to name another.  We fully expect there to be competition, and that is a good thing for all of us...  isn't it?  What they DON'T have is our carbide.  EWT has an exclusive carbide formula that was designed specifically and only for wood turning, NOBODY else has this.  EWT has also developed a process for grinding and polishing the carbide for the sharpest edge possible.  EWT genuine carbides are 100% Made in U.S.A., nobody else does this.  I have made a study of this and looked at our carbide compared to the competitors under a microscope, it's not even close.  Our competitors are using the same carbide that is used for saw blades and planer knives, you can buy them overseas very inexpensively, which is I believe what they are doing.  We were the first carbide turning tool, and we have to be the best.. at least that is our daily mantra and goal, I believe we are.

Speech over....   thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Jim

p_toad and Steve Krumanaker like this

2 minutes ago, Jim from Easy Wood Tools said:

We were the first carbide turning tool, and we have to be the best.. at least that is our daily mantra and goal, I believe we are.

Absolutely!!

Of course, Jim, you know you are preaching to the choir here :)