Gene Howe

The Coffee Pot

81 posts in this topic

Thought we needed a place for random thoughts...where we can shoot the bull about anything (within reason) without needing to start a new thread topic. I'll start and see where it goes. 

Last night, we took our guests out for a farewell Walleye dinner. All were from IL but, strangely some had never tasted Walleye. Had to come to AZ to finally get some. It was delicious. And, the chocolate mousse cake for dessert wasn't too shabby neither.

All have departed as of this morning. Things can normalize now. 

Got the shop cleaned...sorta. A few piddly tasks to do and then the miter saw station can be deconstructed and re fitted for the new saw. Fun, fun, fun.

So, what's happening in your neck of the woods?

18 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

pretty cold this morning and turned on the heat...

On July 17, a few years ago, we camped at the top of Monarch pass in CO. Woke up to 2' of snow.

HARO50 likes this

Waiting for the yard to dry out enough to do some work in it. We were the lucky ones, both north and south of us folks were flash flooded out of their homes. Some places in Dayton have been without power since last Monday night.

kmealy likes this

3 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

On July 17, a few years ago, we camped at the top of Monarch pass in CO. Woke up to 2' of snow.

that's a little bit west of me... it's around 40° over there, the elevation is about 13 two - 13 three... and Jan is whining about the 97%RH...

here it's 21° w/ 19%RH and 600' higher up...

4th of July weekend a few years back of the homestead...

596a229770b65_thedigs.jpg.81fea9116835efd741ed72a6a6b30354.jpg

LarryS, HARO50 and p_toad like this

2 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Waiting for the yard to dry out enough to do some work in it. We were the lucky ones, both north and south of us folks were flash flooded out of their homes. Some places in Dayton have been without power since last Monday night.

YIKES!!!

6 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Wow! That must've been some storm.

Wife is going to put her new stove through its paces today, I will get to sample to goods as they came off/out of it

10 minutes ago, Chips N Dust said:

Wife is going to put her new stove through its paces today, I will get to sample to goods as they came off/out of it

Maple bars? :unsure:

John

Well no wall-eye OR chocolate mousse cake on the menu today, but it does sound good. Sitting on my "bucket-seat" at the garage door last night ~10:15 while doing my daily phone call to my step-father, I witnessed two spectacular "shooting stars" in a 10 minute span...one to the Southwest, the other to the Southeast. It gives you a warm & fuzzy feeling experiencing those!

Started mowing again yesterday PM...waiting for the dew to dry off to restart today. From Wednesday's storm found we had a huge top of a soft maple broken off (10"-12" dia about 12-14' long)...still hanging precariously from a hinge about 15' up. Wind speeds were estimated 70+ mph range in that storm.

Wife's weekend to work; weekend manager at long term health care facility---she's been there 33+ years...started as a receptionist...has been their business manager for over 25 years.

@Gene Howe...great idea and great thread! Thanks!

@Allen Worsham...good you and Tami have some time to get away for a bit...I know it's much needed and appreciated. You all remain in our prayers!

HARO50 and LarryS like this

36 minutes ago, HARO50 said:

Can you spare a piece?

John

you can have mine...

HARO50 likes this

Gorgeous Sunday morning on the mesa. Sun's just peeking through the scattered clouds, birds are welcoming the day, as are the rabbits...but they're quiet. Got a good rain yesterday. A whopping 1/10". 

Phyl made zucchini bread yesterday. Sitting on the deck having a slice, with an unhealthy load of creamed cheese, with a mug of coffee. Trying to decide whether to plan my day or just let it happen. Retirement is like that. 

So, what's going on in y'all's lives this beautiful Sunday?

HARO50 likes this

17 hours ago, Stick486 said:

you can have mine...

What! You don't like that nasty Rhubarb pie either?

HARO50 likes this

I'm flying to Oregon to get a slice of rhubarb pie....one of my favorites.