Saturday's Woodworking Quiz July 15, 2017

Good Morning Friends,

Well another Saturday has come around and time for another quiz;

A fellow wrote the following to a magazine asking, During a recent DIY project, I struggled while cutting crown molding on my miter saw. I angled the molding against the fence and table, but when I made the cut the pieces kept sliding around, making cuts unsafe and inaccurate. Can you help?

I do what Lew does.   I hate having to make two odd angle adjustments every time I switch from left to right or inside to outside corners.   My philosophy is that every time you make a change it gives you a chance to screw up.   It's hard enough to remember which of the 4 cuts you have to make.   Novices should order 50% more molding than needed.

And     31.62 degrees miter &   33.86 degrees bevel if the wall is 90 degrees perfect angle.   I've yet to see one of those.

I found that during the years on the job we didn't go by exact angles, we bisected the angle. Walls are never exactly 90 deg.on the corners due to mud build up to give the wall finish corner. Also we would scribe the assembled crown molding on the wall and remove some of the mud build up to essentially bury the crown molding a tiny bit into the face of the wall. Early on we didn't have Chop Saws we used saws like Steven Newman collects, and some of the crown moldings were nearly 8" across.

http://www.carpentry-tips-and-tricks.com/Bisect-an-angle.html

http://www.leevalley.com/en/newsletters/Woodworking/5/6/patents.htm

It is basic carpentry, and any good finish carpenter should be able to do it. They make things fit even though they are not exactly as drawn on the plan. 

Like the old saying ,machinists make things that fit, woodworkers make things fit.

Herb