Simple little candy box?

Yep.

Shop will be closed for the rest of the day.....there is a "pond" between my house, and the neighbor's house....wasn't there a while ago.   BIG Gulley-washer rolling through, went to check on the shop..

5968062985bd9_stairway.jpg.ce15290c4f16074b75765b26916417ab.jpg

Well, THAT isn't a good sign....Checked the floor drain..not working ..

whirlpool.jpg.ff29468d8626eee048590e6d7ad1dcd1.jpg

Had over an inch of water here. I pulled the drain pipe from the washer out...sounded like a whirlpool.   The floor in the basement slopes towards this corner.  Pipe wasn't letting the water past fast enough....and more is coming in, too..

creek.jpg.8349c68ff81152e12e91412d66e383ca.jpg

Yes, those are ripples as the water goes by.....think I'll just close shop for today....

The rain has been way overscheduled in our area. My corn and tomatoes are drowning (literally)  and it's even tough to work on lawn maintenance. I'm pretty sure this rain would be more useful elsewhere if someone could figure out how to relocate it. Fortunately, I think we'll be drying out over the next week or so.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

Don't even have one in the basement....

Floor is drying nicely, might be about ready to work in..tomorrow.

Barn Sales and a road trip today....pickings were skimpy.....more in the Tools section...

Varnish, a decent brush, steel wool (0000) and a new supply of pencils were bought today...was down to just one stubby little pencil in the shop...

1 hour ago, steven newman said:

was down to just one stubby little pencil in the shop

That you could find anyway:D Did you look behind both ears? Or if you wear a hat, tucked up along the sides or both? I seem to always find a couple when I take my hat off.:lol:

Glad the flood waters have receded. Agreed, it's time for the rain to move on to those who are H2O deprived. 4.4" here this week.

Ok, Yard Sales are down, not much to be found.    Shop is now as dry as it will ever be...maybe I can get a wee bit done?

596a915b7c08d_Corner1.jpg.e895cc83b2b560a6c33a767e8cedce6d.jpg

Tried to match up the grain as it goes around...Corner #1 is now fitted.   I'd rather have the fingers a tad long, than too short.  Just a dry fit...down at the other end, corner #2 is getting marked out..

596a91f72f3e6_corner2.jpg.c4c00f68bc9a894e43f2f2b60795a7b2.jpg

Used a SHARP pencil ( a new one, at that!)   then I cut either splitting the lines or cut on the waste side.   Then clamp it down and chop the waste out...some of them flying up past my head.   Dry fit for #2..

596a9299e311a_twocorners.jpg.cdaaaef8ecdd9db26bddd6e1d9f3b843.jpg

The slab of pine is for all that chopping going on, it saves the bench's top.   Flip this finger up..

596a930510dfc_lasttwo.jpg.c021edb655dc7ba72ac36c731b8af02e.jpg

And lay out the last two corners.   More saw work, more chisel work, finally got all four corners fitted up..

596a9362358e4_cornersdone.jpg.68f61a921cd2894ebcf27fca982630b6.jpg

Check for square?

squared.jpg.eb9eac2f2a811bca13d87f7856b5b7d0.jpg

close enough for now.   Have a lot of grooves to cut....

596a93dbc4711_ploughplane.jpg.f3c1eada1c5787b28766100dd8d16ff5.jpg

I get this thing set up, build a jig, and away we go.   I need a groove to house the top and bottom panels in.   I need a third groove about 2"  below the lid's groove.   I can then assemble the entire mess into a glued up box.  But, I'll then need a fourth groove cut.  Just a blond hair overlap with the groove inside....to split the lid off.  Hinges will be a bear,  kind of thin back there,  we'll see how that goes.

Got a little done today..why are my shoulders so sore? 

Stay tuned...if the creek don't rise, we may get this built..

On 7/14/2017 at 8:43 AM, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

The rain has been way overscheduled in our area. My corn and tomatoes are drowning (literally)  and it's even tough to work on lawn maintenance. I'm pretty sure this rain would be more useful elsewhere if someone could figure out how to relocate it. Fortunately, I think we'll be drying out over the next week or so.

Here, too.  I mow when the tide's out.

Went out Friday AM to check out the new pressure washer.   By the time I assembled it and cleaned off about 100 sq.ft. I was, as they say in England, "knackered."    Totally wet in sweat and out of energy.