I have a TP but had to have all the knives removed and sharpened.

I went to insert the knives and had no idea how high above the spindle that it sits in it should be.

The proper tool was never given to me. So I ordered it.

The proper tool has metal to metal contact.  Which is not good and the user Utube mentioned to be very careful not to chip  the new knife. She showed the springs have to be controlled thru their entire travel.

I am wondering if I put a piece of tape on the tool would the tape thickness change the height by too much?  But the tape would cushion the metal.

Also the cylinder has both jack screws and springs??

I am thinking of using the tool then turning up the jack screws until they get the new blade to just barely touches the tool. 

Should I even use the jack screws or just the springs and tool. 

My question is would the tape (packing or Scotch) really make a big difference in performance?

My jointer is very easy to set up with the Jack screws and a long accurate straight edge.  But the TP that is know of has no out table or in table just a flat table. And adjusting the knifes up side down is very risky and not accurate.

2 hours ago, Michael Thuman said:

The tool came for the JET 15" planer and it worked great.  The knives are in now to make one of those dial indicator thing to check the center.  

Or maybe just run some wood thru to see if all is good.

I ike the test cut idea, may save you some aggravation (or not) but it's a good quick check.

• 2 years later...