HARO50

Another "Whatzit"

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Not really a hand tool, I guess it would be a bench-top tool, though, Can you guess what this was used for?DSC_0181.thumb.JPG.f86bb32f9b95acfee448f123c9cc1014.JPGDSC_0182.thumb.JPG.c0d3e08259d3d0b80a5171e7da2ca7eb.JPG

John

Chips N Dust likes this

Five into one, in this case, Kelly, but close enough. The donuts are on their way! :D

John

2 hours ago, HARO50 said:

Not really a hand tool, I guess it would be a bench-top tool, though,

My guess would have been rope twisting also:P, but what's the rest of the story?

Assume this is yours? Where'd ya' get it? The crank side frame appears to have more rust/less paint than the twister side...Y? Has it been restored? How does the two wooden tools under the crank handle fit in to the use?, etc.? Pretty cool and looks to be in remarkable working order. Any idea of the age?

HARO50 likes this

2 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

My guess would have been rope twisting also:P, but what's the rest of the story?

Assume this is yours? Where'd ya' get it? The crank side frame appears to have more rust/less paint than the twister side...Y? Has it been restored? How does the two wooden tools under the crank handle fit in to the use?, etc.? Pretty cool and looks to be in remarkable working order. Any idea of the age?

Note one has 4 notches. This is to keep the winding packed toward one end so the twist is tight.The second should have a hook to hold the rope at the end. Takes 3 people (boys) to make rope this way.

HARO50 and Grandpadave52 like this

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Not mine, Dave. A display in a small museum in Ameliasburg, Ontario. We were there doing research into my wife's ancestors. I guess Dan's video clears up the wooden tool question! Can't find anything on the age, but most of the displays are items from the early 1800's.

John

Thanks for the video, @HandyDan.

Edited by HARO50 (see edit history)
Grandpadave52 likes this

@HandyDan...cool video...thanks...but...

HandyDan likes this