Diamond award - building process

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

thanks for showing...

you do some nice work David...

difalkner and MEBCWD like this

Excellent work and great video!

difalkner and MEBCWD like this

Wow, not only are you a master of making jigs, fixtures, CNC programming, set-up, operation and efficient production runs, your cinematography 'ain't too shabby either!:lol:

Thanks David...enjoyed watching and learning.

MEBCWD and difalkner like this

33 minutes ago, DAB said:

two points:

i wish you'd use your TS blade guard.

if you don't have a CNC, you could also drill all the holes with a drill press and some stops.

Good points, DAB.  I no longer have the guard, sorry.  When I recovered my table saw a few years back the guard was not with it (loaned the saw to a friend, came back rusted, motor dead, and not much better than a boat anchor. I know, I know...).  You could use a Forstner bit for the pockets but then you'd have to figure out how to make the bottom of the posts round.  Then you'd have to deal with them being oriented correctly and staying that way while you tighten the screws so that the notches line up with the diamond.  By keeping them square in section the orientation is easy.

David

i just cringe when i see videos of "experts" (you count) doing operations with missing safety gear.  some kid sees that and thinks "that's the way to do that", and a year later can only count to 9.  this includes Norm and Mike Holmes.  yeah, they have little disclaimers "safety guards removed for photographic clarity"...sorry, not a good solution.  show safe and proper use of tools.

go find a guard, or get a new saw.

difalkner likes this

Point well taken, DAB.  I'm not opposed to a guard, just don't have one.

David

Grandpadave52 likes this

Good job on the product and the video. As you said there are many ways to do a project. As for me I would turn a small bowl with the trophy displayed in the mouth or depression in a plank.

difalkner likes this

6 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Good job on the product and the video. As you said there are many ways to do a project. As for me I would turn a small bowl with the trophy displayed in the mouth or depression in a plank.

Thanks, Gerald!  They wanted it like a ring with the diamond suspended between 'prongs' and this is as close to that as I could come to that concept.  The front of the base will received a brass plate with the recipient's name and pertinent info to the award.

David

Grandpadave52 and Gerald like this

I like the whole project,David, you did a great job, as Dab said, I would have to use a drill Press and a jig,not  hard to do.,maybe a bit slower. I don't use a saw guard either, Have them hanging on the wall so I can put them on if OSHA comes around. And before you guys jump all over me, Save your breath, to me they are a hazard and a PITA to use. I have been using a table saw for over 60 years, and am very careful.

I like the jig you used to make the dowels. I am going to copy that as I make round pieces quite often, and the only way I could think of was to start the cut 3" from the end and stop 3" from the end,then rotate and ditto,then 2 more times. Then cut off the square sided ends. makes for 6" total waste on each one.

But you might try to do that with your jig, leave an inch or so of square end on both ends and then cut them off, might save some sanding. just a thought.

Herb

difalkner and Grandpadave52 like this

Thanks, Herb!  I'm glad you got something worthwhile out of this.

David

43 minutes ago, Dadio said:

BTW are those real Diamonds? Or glass or acrylic?

Herb

:lol::D:lol:

difalkner likes this

44 minutes ago, Dadio said:

BTW are those real Diamonds? Or glass or acrylic?

Herb

Cut crystal

David

Dadio and MEBCWD like this

Posted (edited)

David...outstanding run...and equally so the video.  Your taking the time to document it is much appreciated...Equally appreciated was your explantion of the need for squared botfoms in the holes. Thanks for sharing...learned a lot in your techniques and use of jigs...

Edited by Nickp (see edit history)
difalkner likes this