PostalTom

First bowl

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Tom, at the bottom of each reply is a quote button.  Hit the quote button.  Set your cursor under the quote and go with your reply.

So this is the first finished bowl.  Very good then you are normal like the rest of us.  Mistakes are what make us better.  Just be safe and try to stay out of the firing range when pieces come off the lathe.

HARO50 likes this

28 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Tom, at the bottom of each reply is a quote button.  Hit the quote button.  Set your cursor under the quote and go with your reply.

Dan, I know about the quote button, but that would have put the quote on the Woodworking forum,  I wanted to quote you in my post on the Turner's forum as you suggested.  The only way I know how to do that was a copy and paste.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, lew said:

Do you like the friction polish?

This was my first time using it, but it worked out OK for me.  We have a tool store here that has a Rockler outlet within the store.  I'm going to see if they carry any before I order online. My "googling" seems to show two main brands, Mylands and Hut.  Any recommendations on which one is better?

Edited by PostalTom
Left out a couple of words. (see edit history)

2 hours ago, PostalTom said:

This was my first time using it, but it worked out OK for me.  We have a tool store here that has a Rockler outlet within the store.  I'm going to see if they carry any before I order online. My "googling" seems to show two main brands, Mylands and Hut.  Any recommendations on which one is better?

Tom the bad part of friction polish is you  will have to redo it at some time. It just does not hold up for a long time. Friction polish was once popular for pens but with the lack of longevity it lost favor.

Bowl looks good for a starter. Just keep practicing.

2 hours ago, PostalTom said:

Any recommendations on which one is better

I've used the Hut PPP (brown and white) as Gerald pointed out it needs to be redone over time especially with objects that are handled a lot.

That certainly looks better than my first bowl, and my second and third for that matter. It's important to remember, we all start at the beginning. They only get better from here.

Steve

HARO50 likes this

Great job Tom...You should have received an "A" in this class.:P

Thanks Dave.  I appreciate that.  My next step is to get some 8/4 poplar and cut out some blanks to practice on before I invest more expensive wood.  I can always use those as catch-alls in my shop.

Grandpadave52, lew and clhyer like this

You are on your way!