Curly maple platter

Gerald

Thats really a piece of wood art. The only problem is that these beautiful creations are overlooked. Most people automatically think it is plastic. I've had people say, "Did you really make that!?!"  One person said," Why .make it if you can buy one like it at the dollar store?" I'm 74 now and I show little emotion when some idiot says something like that.

I have to tell you and others on this site, we are not just woodworkers, we are wood artists. We dedicate our skills to make wood into beautiful pieces of wood art.............like yours

That is simply awesome!  I tried a couple other superlatives, but they were already used...

Regarding the finishing - how do you dye just the top and end up with a line?  If that question makes sense to you.

Cal

3 hours ago, clhyer said:

That is simply awesome!  I tried a couple other superlatives, but they were already used...

Regarding the finishing - how do you dye just the top and end up with a line?  If that question makes sense to you.

Cal

The dye is applied before hollowing the bowl part.

2 hours ago, HandyDan said:

That's beautiful Gerald.  I know yellow and blue make green.  How did you retain some of the blue?

I just bought the 3 basic colors so I could combine colors. They do make a green but I only combine to get the green, so only used yellow and royal blue. the process is to apply a base color (royal blue) then sand most off . I left the inner ring in blue and it also stays in the curl. Then apply secondary color or colors. After the green I did apply some yellow to highlight. The dye is applied by blotting on with a paper towel. If you do not like the result then sand off and start over.

This is the video. The cloring starts about 45:00.