clhyer

If you are new, or will be, to hearing aids...

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Good advice for sure. I'm sure I'm heading toward hearing aids but have so far avoided getting them. I'm also pretty sure it will come out of my pocket if I do decide to get some; that isn't the overriding concern...it's more the stuff like you mention.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr (see edit history)
clhyer likes this

Wow, Cal, you have great insurance!

I was "lucky" enough to be able to get my hearing aids thru the VA on a disability. My hearing is still deteriorating so this month they are changing the style from in the ear to behind the ear. I hope that improves the clarity. When I'm in a noisy environment, I don't understand conversation.

I have to be careful if I get down the floor to look under something. Every now and then one of the aids will fall out. The change in sound usually alerts me that it has happened.

No fun getting old!!!

clhyer likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, lew said:

No fun getting old!!!

True words, there! But it still beats NOT getting old! grin-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr (see edit history)

Cal I convinced the VA the army caused my hearing loss and I am on my third different style of advanced hearing aids. I have the habit of tapping the top of my ear to make sure the batteries are still working and one day after I had spent that day trimming low hanging branches I noticed one aid was missing. Our lot is about 1 1/2 acres and I spent the next day covering every square inch under every tree looking for my aid....I did finally find it.....They blend in with the surroundings too good to make it a habit of loosing them outside...

Al B a person forgets they have the aids in their ears when doing things they don't need the aids  and for sure when doing loud things , no one does not need the extra sound but I never think of them except when I can't hear something.

I don't need them in when going to the shop but usually don't think to take them out.

This last set they poured plaster in my ear and then made the receiver the shaped of the cavity. They do stay with me better than the older models but at first one kept popping out? 

The latest set I can turn either one up or down.

I was on the rifle team while in the army and 6 days a week we shot something . I say something cause there were pistols, rifles, bar's and 22's involved all day long.. We pulled our own targets on the M1 range and to get to the pits you just moved over a few yards and walked the five hundred yards from the shooting stations to the pits while some were still shooting. No ear protection in those days and nothing ever provided by the army. 

clhyer, p_toad, lew and 1 other like this

Dr. pushed modelling clay? into my ears, both fit perfectly. Turn'm off in my ear, store'm in a tall pill container w/ a new cotton ball in the bottom to help draw out moisture. Don't wear'm for decorations, need'm, specially right ear.  Just life.

Grandpadave52, clhyer and HARO50 like this

The technology on these things is amazing.  My misconception of them was that my hearing loss meant I was not hearing things and by using them everything would be louder.  Not so - they only "amplify" the frequency needed.  In my case it was those upper levels which differentiate "clarity".  I must say, it is a remarkable change to actually hear what is being said!

Al, I didn't even think about taking them out.  Did not even notice they were in when I started.

Lew, these are behind the ear models.  Like you, I could not understand conversation if there were two people talking or if there was any background noise."

Jess, these are the basic models.  I was shown some upscale models that have rechargeable batteries.  Seems like that might save money in the long run, but it was a huge upfront cost.

Buck, good tip about the cotton ball.  I will adopt this.

Cal

HARO50 and Grandpadave52 like this

Posted (edited)

Actually, The VA provided me with hearing aids several years ago. As a Hydraulics mechanic on B-47 aircraft, those 6  J-47 engines were deafening. The Air Force never did provide any ear plugs to dampen the sound, just headphones for talking to the pilot while checking the flight control operation during pre-flight inspections.  I still have the hearing aids but haven't used then for several years, because they only seemed to magnify the sounds, but never did much to help with listening to conversation. As was often said, I could hear louder, but not better.

Edited by It Was Al B (see edit history)
lew and HARO50 like this

AL B,  THE SELLER WADDED UP A NEWSPAPER IN FRONT OF ME, FOR ME TO HEAR AND DESCRIBE HOW LOUD AND OTHER ???'S BOUT'M, HE ADJUSTED'M, THAT WAS MANY YEARS AGO.

1 minute ago, olbuck said:

AL B,  THE SELLER WADDED UP A NEWSPAPER IN FRONT OF ME, FOR ME TO HEAR AND DESCRIBE HOW LOUD AND OTHER ???'S BOUT'M, HE ADJUSTED'M, THAT WAS MANY YEARS AGO.

Thank goodness times have changed!  My  Mom told me that when she first go hearing aids they told her if she could hear the birds chirping the aids were working fine!

HARO50 and clhyer like this

Yeah, I joined the club a couple of months ago.   I'll have to say, while some improvement, it's not like taking off and putting on a pair of glasses.   A couple of days ago I was having some electrical problems with a medical appliance (CPAP, joined that club 5 years ago).  I took it to a place that sells them and suspected the power supply was going.   She said, "It should not be buzzing like that."   I had to put the thing right up to my ear to hear any hum at all.   That frequency must be totally shot.

Grew up on a farm running a tractor some of the time, worked way through college doing construction work, including a few days at the pile driving machine, loud '60s rock music, mowing yards, running tools, I should have seen it coming.

Grandpadave52, lew and HARO50 like this

Posted (edited)

@kmealy Grew up on a farm running a tractor some of the time, worked way through college doing construction work, including a few days at the pile driving machine, loud '60s rock music, mowing yards, running tools, I should have seen it coming.

Kinda the same for me Keith; one thing is for sure - we sure didn't HEAR it coming!

Cal

Edited by clhyer (see edit history)
HARO50 likes this

2 hours ago, HandyDan said:

I can't hear door bells and ringing phones.  I have been told I have selective hearing.  Just saying.  Not complaining.

That  and often when the Mrs. speaks- can't here a thing ;)

HandyDan and clhyer like this

I worked with a young lady many years ago who told me about her Uncle Carl, who had been deaf in one ear for most of his life. One day, while plowing the back forty, lightning struck near him, knocking him off the tractor, and leaving him stunned. When he came to, he soon realized that the hearing in his deaf ear had been restored! He made a point of telling everyone, however, that he preferred it before, as he could always turn the deaf ear toward his wife if she nagged him too much!

John