I have a cheep track saw (Scheppach - same as the Grizzly model). It came with two 25 inch rails. I figured it was to keep packaging as small as possible. I bought two of the 55 inch Grizzly tracks. No problem breaking down full length of plywood. I also use it to cut a straight edge on boards that are bowed.

My tracks stay in place and don't move around. But if I am being forceful, they could possibly shift. I clamp them wherever possible. Even one clamp helps a lot.

The Kreg jig looks like a nice option for cutting lengths up to 48 inches. Longer would be really nice.

I speculate that Kregs thoughts are you would cut a 4x8 sheet in half first then could use it for any length or width. While true in many cases, sometimes you do need a piece longer than 4' but not full 4' wide so it does have it's limitations but for the price still looks pretty good.

Bob's idea of buying (2) makes sense; still wouldn't have to mortgage the farm and maybe could adapt the second plate for router use. Regardless, Kreg seems to generally have the average hobbyist woodworkers budget in mind compared to some of the "elite" lines.

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

When ya make your own, it can be as long as you need.:rolleyes:

My thought exactly.  A few years ago, I made a 4' long one out of some scrap plywood I had. Works well enough to break down to rough size with final cut done on the table saw.  I'm fortunate that I have 8' on both side of my saw and a 36" rip capacity.  I've been able to rip my 4x8 sheet goods lengthwise that way.  But if the need arises to go portable, I think I'd buy a sheet of 3/8 ply and make a couple.

Years ago I had a metal building supply chop me three lengths of 1/8" steel, 6,8 and 10 foot  by 3 inches wide metal for straight cuts. 10 bucks for the three back then, maybe 30 years ago and they are still as good as they were the day I bought them. Buying sheet metal for a building at the same time might have helped on the price, I don't know? It takes about a minute to slice off a piece of metal!

They need to be wide enough for the clamps not to get in the way of the saw and I thought 4" wide might be too heavy to lug around. The metal is smoother for the saw to slide against than the wood I use to use and for sure a person needs to check and see if the wood has not warped from the last time it was used.....

Unfortunately, I don't have enough room to create or buy a track for each of my saws...I have two 52 inch edge guides that can go together to make 104.  Package they came in is only 1 1/2" deep, 4" wide...

Using these I can use any circular saw, jig saw, router, etc...and yes, clamps are required...the clamps store in the same package...

While I'm unloading the pickup the sheet goods get cut right off the back of the tailgate...

I just wish they made the 4x8's so that you can actually get a 3ft piece and a 1ft piece...  :)