Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

Rate this topic

Looks like it will be a very strong joint.  How did you hold the work pieces when you cut them?

David

SLICK...

57 minutes ago, difalkner said:

Looks like it will be a very strong joint.  How did you hold the work pieces when you cut them?

I have an adjustable angle/vertical clamping jig mounted to the front rail of my Probotix Meteor. Opening below is clear to the floor.  For round stock I first clamp a vertical edge against the vertical jig, then clamp the stock against the inside corner created between the jig and edge.  Quick-grip clamps with padded faces hold the round stock firm enough to cut with the CNC

4D

Did you use the inlay toolpaths for this joint or pocket and profile toolpaths?

3 minutes ago, MEBCWD said:

Did you use the inlay toolpaths for this joint or pocket and profile toolpaths?

Profile tool paths mainly for one half.  I drew the outline of the individual fingers and made sure my 3/16" bit would fit between them. Profile cutting around each one left a small bit of wood in the center of the dowel so I added a drill toolpath with the same bit to clear the center.  

The other half with a solid center was all pockets inside each individual finger.   Their outlines extended outside the dowel perimeter by 1/2 the bit diameter so the bit would leave crisp square edges at the dowel edge. . 

4D

That's what I like about Vectric software several people can be presented with the same problem and each one can use different tools in the software to get to the same final outcome.

Very nice. I like that a lot.

1 hour ago, MEBCWD said:

That's what I like about Vectric software several people can be presented with the same problem and each one can use different tools in the software to get to the same final outcome.

I often start out creating toolpaths for a student's project, say mostly complex shaped pockets.  I'll look at the time estimate and if it seems long then I usually can find another way to toolpath the job that shortens the time it will take. Profiles, especially if you can connect all the separate vectors, are almost always quicker than pockets.  

I had a 3D part to cut for a student that needed to be repeated 8 times.  The first one I created 3D Rough and 3D finish tool paths for.   We cut it and it took the entire 3 hour class.  I went home that night and fairly quickly drew up 2D profile toolpaths that together would create her 3D part.  I got the cut time down to 10 minutes per part.  We cut the last 7 in one class period, with time left over to clean up the mess.    The new Moulding toolpath that vectric added in version 8.5 does automatically what I had drawn up manually to do that time. 

4D

One thing about the pocket tool path in Vectric's software is that it often looks like it is wasting time going back to clear out small areas that are already clear.  Lots of lifts and plunges. If the same area can be cleared out by a Profile tool path, even if it takes drawing a few extra offset lines to do it, a tremendous amount of time can be saved VS Pocket tool paths.  If you connect all the vectors used when cutting ON the line then the bit will not waste time lifting and plunging. You can turn on a Solid coloring of the area cut in the plan view for each tool path you have created.  This will show any areas in a pocket that have or haven't been cleared using profile instead.  

4D