CharlieL

Router Table Find

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Looks good Mike. I know what your saying, but that is what came with the ShopSmith router table. I was hoping that I could just add to it to make it taller. Here is a picture of a portable router table that I put together a few years ago, and is in my main shop. The stand and top I built, then added a Freud fence, Woodpeckers plate and ring set.

PORTROUTERTABLE.JPG

Edited by CharlieL (see edit history)
p_toad, HARO50, clhyer and 1 other like this

Recently I bought some casters at the big blue box store. They lock both ways. So far, I like them.

If you plan to raise your table with casters, it would be a good time to make the finished table height comfortable for your routing. The router table I have now has adjustable height and can be raised to about 39 inches at the highest. That makes it nice for routing. I am 5'10" or I used to be. :(

p_toad, HARO50, clhyer and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, MT Stringer said:

If you plan to raise your table with casters, it would be a good time to make the finished table height comfortable for your routing. The router table I have now has adjustable height and can be raised to about 39 inches at the highest. That makes it nice for routing. I am 5'10" or I used to be. :(

I'm about 6' 2". The height is a concern that I have because the working surface on the stock stand is already at 43", and I'm not so sure that I want it any higher then it has to be, I really do not want to cut the stand height. A mobile base would only raise it about an inch, verses casters at atleast a 3" raise. In a nut shell a mobile base would be the best and easier solution then casters where I'd probably have to cut the stand height down, and make brackets to fasten the casters to. More work then it's worth to save a couple bucks and then not have a easy to operate mobile base.

who says you have to have the casters under the table...

put them on brackets (add a gusset if need be) as outriggers part way up the stand's legs and make them long enough that the swivel casters operate freely...

or mount them to to an internal self inside of the legs...

casters.thumb.jpg.7300bed9697311b47b234a4e3b359ae3.jpg

clhyer and HARO50 like this

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Stick486 said:

who says you have to have the casters under the table...

put them on brackets (add a gusset if need be) as outriggers part way up the stand's legs and make them long enough that the swivel casters operate freely...

or mount them to to an internal self inside of the legs...

Stick, thats not a bad idea. Here is a quick sketch of how I would try your suggestion. fixed casters on the back two, and two swivel locking casters in the front. I will definitely consider it. Thanks.  

mobile.jpeg

HARO50 likes this

2 hours ago, CharlieL said:

Stick, thats not a bad idea. Here is a quick sketch of how I would try your suggestion. I will definitely consider it. Thanks.  

use angle iron...

HARO50 likes this

Posted (edited)

Come to think  of it, a mobile base might work nicely. I have three of the Harbor freight mobile bases on the band saw, drill press and the drum sander. The additional height is minimal. In fact, my poor garage floor is so unlevel and uneven, the bases drag sometimes when I move them about. So mostly, they stay in the same spot unless I just have to get in behind them.

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

2013-09-09 14.12.19.jpg

2013-09-09 14.12.28.jpg

2013-09-09 20.26.56.jpg

Edited by MT Stringer (see edit history)
HARO50 and clhyer like this

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, MT Stringer said:

I have three of the Harbor freight mobile bases on the band saw, drill press and the drum sander.

I'm not a fan of Harbor Freight.

Stick486 and HARO50 like this

2 hours ago, CharlieL said:

I'm not a fan of Harbor Freight.

595da9dd23829_TUKODOS.jpg.3bc7085a6c74be280c53941f199e3945.jpg

HARO50 likes this

9 hours ago, MT Stringer said:

I have three of the Harbor freight mobile bases on the band saw, drill press and the drum sander.

Mike,,,what does the "pinkish" color on the outside of each of the stretchers indicate? I've got a similar set from H-F I haven't used yet...still trying to decide to use on the bandsaw or joiner. If I recall correctly, the stretcher size is 1-1/4" x 1-1/4"??

I did buy a set of these on sale at Woodcraft sometime back to install on the table saw. I've considered another set for the joiner/planer.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-retracting-casters

View a Larger Image of Retracting Casters

Dave, that pink color is a 2x4 stud ripped to fit the metal brackets. :)

1 minute ago, MT Stringer said:

Dave, that pink color is a 2x4 stud ripped to fit the metal brackets. :)

Thanks Mike...I guess I haven't seen any treated that color but I don't get out much:P I have seen the blue treated at BORG.

And here I thought I was gonna' get you to spill some proprietary secret:lol:

clhyer, HARO50 and MT Stringer like this

Posted (edited)

This morning I finished mounting two shelves to the stand. I did not put a finish on them because I figure that they would just get scratched up in time. Someday I may add a rubber mat to the tops of them. Next is to try to refurbish the router table top surface.

IMG_0778.jpg

Grandpadave52 and clhyer like this

3 hours ago, CharlieL said:

Someday I may add a rubber mat to the tops of them.

Charlie, Next time you're at Wally-world, pick up a roll of this. Inexpensive, protects tool surfaces and stays put. I've even used it for sanding and routing "minimal slip" surfaces besides drawer liners in my tool boxes. doing so, you can put a finish on the shelves which gives the wood some protection from absorbing unwanted material.

Wal-Mart Duck Drawer Liner

Duck 20" x 6' Select Easy Liner

steven newman likes this

2 hours ago, steven newman said:

Afraid my rarely used Router Table is a bit modest..

Whaaat? You have a router with a cord? What else are you keeping hidden from us?:ph34r::P

clhyer, HARO50 and steven newman like this

Posted (edited)

Done for now, relaminated top, and added some height to the fence. A mobile base will have to wait.

IMG_0789.jpg

Great job Charlie and great find. Next is finding a dedicated router for it (or two)?:P

steven newman likes this