Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Pecan would be really hard to turn with two broke arms. If in fact you got the pecan wood off of one of my trees......

For turning, not stolen, from me, yes it is a great wood to do anything with even bar- be-cueing. except maybe for Gerald and his staining.

HARO50 likes this

Posted (edited)

Pecan turns well but id very hard when dry so needs sharp tools. It worked well for this but cutting the slots did seem to take forever. A s for the stain dark woods do not show stain well in most cases however I did do two beads of courage bowls from a pecam limb that had almost white wood and those stained very well. These are the finished pictures of those bowls with lacquer and buff done.

IMG_2510.thumb.JPG.dd21c213c30d019cd6a57d8d334bcb4a.JPG

At the time stain was applied the grain did not show well. After staining the dark lines showed very well. Ad the tops here are pecan from a different tree.IMG_2516.thumb.JPG.70efe3ace4da62175f0f6dbb383c44f6.JPG

Edited by Gerald (see edit history)

That's a pretty nice first effort I'd say. Interested in seeing where you go with this.

Steve

Gerald you might consider doing the petals like you carved the Carved Cherry Vase in you last gallery images.  More time consuming but I think the petals would look good with the faux overlap.

14 hours ago, MEBCWD said:

Gerald you might consider doing the petals like you carved the Carved Cherry Vase in you last gallery images.  More time consuming but I think the petals would look good with the faux overlap.

Have considered that ,but for now going a little farther with this as I am thinking gifts. Lot of things can be done with this in carving

MEBCWD and HARO50 like this

Posted (edited)

Did more work on flowers yesterday, this time in cherry. IMG_1152.thumb.JPG.3671aaa526412613fd766e8ea5edba9f.JPG First turn outside to form 

IMG_1153.thumb.JPG.e30a5b4c1cacf9ec1a06e214e2fa99a8.JPG

Then turn inside and drill for stem .tried to drill from outside and did not work so center drill from tailstock.IMG_1154.thumb.JPG.fd510bf57098eca8d24cd6058be9e6db.JPG

marked for six petals on this one and used the cutter shown here to cut line. The lower part on line is merely a carved line. IMG_1155.thumb.JPG.ddc9676f724cc0e90c9c476ae457c3e9.JPG

different colors this time and a little more shape to the coloring. Will still be trying more on this. Maybe not like a real flower but stylization. 

Edited by Gerald
pic size (see edit history)
HARO50, lew and p_toad like this