Jay

Rifle stocks

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon ladies and gents! Im sorry i havent been active for a while. Ive been down and out and my back is getring worse by the day. Im now supposed to use a cpap cane shower chair compression stockings knee braces long handled shoe horn old fart ext grabber just to name a few. All at 36 yrs old. Well next month 36 lol. I havent been able to get in the shop lately due to this. So i have an old 1914 kar 98 8mm mauser and a 1924 mle-m-16 8mm carbine. Im going to remove the stocks to prevent any more wear as they are all original and matching numbers and approximately 98% original bluing. I plan to use them to hunt not so much target as they are about $50 a box for ammo and i do not have the equipment to reload. I would love to so i can play around with projectials and powder load. What are some tips and tricks on mesuring out the original stocks and best way to craft them? Im planning to incorperate a modern folding bipod into the bottom of the foward stock and possibly an adjustable cheek wield if i can. Also what would be a sturdy yet beatiful wood and a good stain/finish for them that shows the beauty of the natural grain. I would like to make them a thumb hole stock with a butt pad as they kick like a mule. Keep in mind im on a VERY limited budget and i dont know when ill be able to afford to purchase. I would like something like tiger or burl something with a unique personality just like me hahaha. 

Edited by Jay (see edit history)
p_toad likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the old manufacturers had large duplicator machines for roughing out gun stocks.  then skilled craftsmen would do the final shaping and cutting.  without specialized tools and jigs, it'll be very hard to copy an old stock.

 

those don't strike me as terribly valuable or collectible rifles, so i'd just shoot them they way they are.  you can look up online the approximate value of them.  i'd be surprised if they were worth more than 400 each.

HARO50 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen several muzzle loaders/long rifles that are hand crafted by some very talented builders. Maybe an Internet search for handcrafted muzzleloaders can locate someone near you willing to par with some stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should be able to find a surplus replacement stocks to fit both of these fine rifles. If you don't want to butcher up the originals that is the way I would go. Modify them as needed.

 

Doug is right, they are only worth around $4-500. You will end up spending almost that much, again, on a decent custom stock. Even if you do the work the materials will cost as much as they are worth. It may not make a difference to you if you supply the labor but it will still be more then picking up a surplus stock(s) and modifying them.

 

As for ammo, if you shop around you can find some Czech or Yugoslav surplus fairly cheap. I bought a 100 rounds not to long ago for somewhere around $15 or $20. It was corrosive but it was full power stuff, not the loaded down commercial stuff. If you do find some make sure that the 1914 K will handle it. There are two different bullet diameters (.318 and .323). The 1914 may take the smaller one. The commercial bullets are the larger size. You sure don't want to squeeze a .323 into a .318 rifle barrel.

Do you have a true 1914 98K or is it a 88/14?

Nickp likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, schnewj said:

You should be able to find a surplus replacement stocks to fit both of these fine rifles. If you don't want to butcher up the originals that is the way I would go. Modify them as needed.

 

Doug is right, they are only worth around $4-500. You will end up spending almost that much, again, on a decent custom stock. Even if you do the work the materials will cost as much as they are worth. It may not make a difference to you if you supply the labor but it will still be more then picking up a surplus stock(s) and modifying them.

 

As for ammo, if you shop around you can find some Czech or Yugoslav surplus fairly cheap. I bought a 100 rounds not to long ago for somewhere around $15 or $20. It was corrosive but it was full power stuff, not the loaded down commercial stuff. If you do find some make sure that the 1914 K will handle it. There are two different bullet diameters (.318 and .323). The 1914 may take the smaller one. The commercial bullets are the larger size. You sure don't want to squeeze a .323 into a .318 rifle barrel.

Do you have a true 1914 98K or is it a 88/14?

Yes its a true k98 and the mle takes a 8x50 and the k98 7.92x57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some walnut stock materiel I bought from a friend. He and his dad cut these over 50 years ago and had been in the attic. But these are only stock size and not long enough for your use. You might also look on some of the gun boards. Even used the stock will be north of 200.

This site may have what you need used for less than 170....https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guns can last a long time if properly cared for, but were never intended to last forever.  they will wear out or become obsolete.  that's why they make more everyday.

 

I hope you can get back in the serious black shortly, and then you can get the rifle of your dreams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all this info guys. I know it will be a hard lengthy somewhat exp project. But i dont mind it. It will help me forget about the deamons i fight with everyday. The main reasons are 1 i want to try my hand at it and kearn (practice w balsa first) 2 i want to hand these down with my other antiques to my son 3 i would like to use them as they are all matching #s even the stocks are serialized and i dont want them getting worse than they are. I wood (lol) refinish them but that would take away from the value as time progresses 3 i want to make something very unique and eye catching with beauty and love. Plus my son is semi interested in wood woeking and a gun nut so i can actually have some bonding time with him. Hes a teenager and doesnt have time for anyone other than himself lol.

schnewj and John Morris like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basic rough 1st draft of what i would like to make. Sorry if you cant read. Have chicken scratch. Always told i would make hell of a doctor w it hahaha

14987552020411524780623.jpg

1498755224635378004016.jpg

14987552385531360724592.jpg

14987552516972079611929.jpg

Harry Brink likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bwahaha i guess its cause i write as fast as i can. Dont feel like doing drafting letters anymore lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody know where i can get roughly a 2x4x36 piece of balsa cheap? I found 1 place but i cant afford $30 plus shipping. Still waiting on my ssdi check to start and back pay.

John Morris likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Does anybody know where i can get roughly a 2x4x36 piece of balsa cheap? I found 1 place but i cant afford $30 plus shipping. Still waiting on my ssdi check to start and back pay.

You might check these places to see if they have/can get it-

https://www.yellowpages.com/riverview-fl/saw-mill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cedar is pretty soft, so is redwood, then you have really cheap pine.

 

if you cannot find one piece that is large enough, glue it up to make it big enough.

 

i'd practice with pine (cheap) first.  that will let you goof up cheaply.  if you have sharp tools, it should work pretty easily.  just avoid knots where you have to cut.  worst case, you find this is beyond your present skill/patience set, and you have a really neat piece of firewood for winter.

 

a 2x6x36 can be cut from a 8' board, and should run about $7 at you local Homey/Lowes.  will give you 2 blanks to play with.  cheap fun!

Grandpadave52 and Jay like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Jay. Link us to the place you found it, here in this topic. 

Then message me with your shipping address. 

Compliments of the entire gang here at The Patriot Woodworker. We had a raffle awhile back and after taking care of some bills for our community, we have funding leftover, for our Veterans who need a hand up. 

We are honored to contribute to an activity that will keep your negative visions and thoughts at bay.

Please allow us to do this.

 

what a nice guy.  :yay:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Jay. Link us to the place you found it, here in this topic. 

Then message me with your shipping address. 

Compliments of the entire gang here at The Patriot Woodworker. We had a raffle awhile back and after taking care of some bills for our community, we have funding leftover, for our Veterans who need a hand up. 

We are honored to contribute to an activity that will keep your negative visions and thoughts at bay.

Please allow us to do this.

Omg thats so aaesome of you guys!!! I cant tell you enough how much i appreciate it!!! Oh this is gonna be fun!!! Hope i can do this so i can do it with a really nice exotic wood!!! Gonna be lots of sharpening filing and sanding hahaha i woul need 2 as 2 rifles of diff sizes... Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

 

http://www.specializedbalsa.com/products/balsa_blocks.php

Grandpadave52, John Morris and DAB like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Jay. Link us to the place you found it, here in this topic. 

Then message me with your shipping address. 

Compliments of the entire gang here at The Patriot Woodworker. We had a raffle awhile back and after taking care of some bills for our community, we have funding leftover, for our Veterans who need a hand up. 

We are honored to contribute to an activity that will keep your negative visions and thoughts at bay.

Please allow us to do this.

Outstanding, John!

lew, Dadio and John Morris like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

About us

We are a woodworking community with an emphasis on sharing and learning the skilled craft of woodworking and all of its related disciplines. Our community is open to everyone who wishes to join us. We support our veterans and active duty both here in the United States and in Canada, being a veteran is not a prerequisite to join. So please, join us! Please click on Join The Patriot Woodworker's.

 

We support MWTCA, preserving tools and implements from the past.

M-WTCA Logo.gif

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

Visit us on Facebook