Help question.

RustyFN

I bought eight blocks of wood 6 x 6 x 3. I got two each of four different types. All eight are totally covered in a type of wax. I took a piece of walnut and while turning a bowl I could tell it was very wet. Will they all dry over time with the wax on or do I need to remove it?

The wax is a seal to "slow" drying not stop it. If the wood loses moisture too fast it will crack and that is to be avoided. Leave the wax on til you turn it.When you turn if the wood is not completely dry we do what is called a rough turn . For this you leave the woo thickness of 1/10 of the diameter....if the bowl is 10 inches that would be 1 inch.Then use a technique to slow drying until the bowl is dry . Then we do the second turn to finish. 

This is only a breif explanation of the process and you can fild much longer desertations on the subject of drying wood. If you have more specific questions just ask. You can foind a lot of answers in American Woodturner magazine or the AAW website.

Make sure to let the moisture out daily or you will get mold growth. Usually can remove chips after two weeks. A good way to tell stabilization is to weigh at least once every 3-4 days, then when you get the same weight twice is ready. Do not be surprised if the weight goes back up due to humidity changes, that is normal.

You can also use a micro wave oven to dry the turning,   Pick up a cheap one at a thrift store or garage sale for this use.

Don't use the one in the house, some woods really stink when dried like this and your wife will get very very upset, don't ask how I know.

You need a scale to tell when the drying is complete.  Start by weighing the turning and write down the weight.  Heat the turning in the microwave for short periods just enough that it feels warm to the touch, don't get it too hot.  Let it cool in the microwave for about 10 minutes, weigh it again and make note of the weight.  Repeat this until the weight reading is the same.  Some people stop there but I usually heat it one more time.  Then clamp it down to a flat surface (use as little clamping pressure as possible to hold it flat to the surface).  Leave it there about 30 minutes, this helps it hold it's shape.  Then put it back on the lathe and do your final turning and finishing.

Don't forget to sign your piece of art!

Edited by MEBCWD