Another idiot that needs removed from the gene pool

kmealy

I remember Lowe's lost a suit a few years ago.   Now Home Depot and Menards are getting sued because a 4x4 is only 3.5" x 3.5"

http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/home-depot-menards-under-fire-over-lumber-sizes?utm_source=Real_Magnet&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=byhammerandhand@yahoo.com&utm_content=BREAKING NEWS&utm_campaign=Breaking%3A Home Depot%2C Menards face lawsuit over lumber

alberteinstein1.jpg

I remember having a similar discussion with a friend who is now a retired Home Ec. and ESL teacher.

Her: "How thick is a 1x4x8?"

me:  "Three-fourth inches"

Her: "Hmmm.  How wide is it, then?
me  "Three and a half inches."

Her:  "Aaak! How long would it be, then?"
me"  "Ninety six inches."

Her  "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

I guess she was used to a cup of sugar being a cup and 3 yards of fabric being three yards.

Edited by kmealy

44 minutes ago, LarryS said:

This lawsuit won't take long to throw out of court.

Don't count on it.

Apparently, the plaintiff can't read, too,

4 x 4 x 8' #2 Ground Contact AC2® Green Pressure Treated Timber
(Actual Size 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 8')

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/lumber-boards/timbers-logs/4-x-4-2-ground-contact-ac2-reg-green-pressure-treated-timber/p-1444422036847-c-13131.htm?tid=6632034856058181729&ipos=1

Edited by kmealy

53 minutes ago, kmealy said:

(Other than Baltic Birch) is it metric or just shaving off 1/32" here and there?

Guess it depends on your supplier. The lumber yard closest to me offers A/C plywood thicknesses in mm. CDX is still imperial. 

One place sells appleply and its imperial and 4x8 sheets.

1 hour ago, hatuffej said:

This is yet another reason that lawsuits should be reviewed by an ABA board before they are allowed to proceed. If it is judged to be trivial, the plaintiff pays the cost of reviewing  the suit. We all suffer from this ludicrous practice.

hat

Around here, there are a few law firms that advertise heavily on the local news hours.   One of them, "Don't hire an ambulance-chasing law firm, contact us."   Yeah, and the difference would be ....?