Do you reuse pen blank scraps?

Joe Candrilli

So for any of you who still turn pens, what do you do with the end scraps that are left over after cutting/ trimming?  As a good woodworker tends to do, I ended up saving cutoffs from all of my pen blanks, both wood and acrylic. As i was reorganizing my tool chests and whatnot I realized I had a full drawer of these cutoffs.  Some are as short as 1/4", some might be 2".  None of them could be used in any regular pen kit applications.  I thought about heading to Goodwill and try and find some kind of food processor or blender to break them into smaller bits and mix them into acrylic resin and make new blanks with them.  Before I completely destroy them in this way, anyone have a different method, or do most of you simply discard the extra?

I usually save anything that doesn't go thru the shop vac hose. But, honestly, the scrap bin gets dumped every now and then. I do save the "exotic" pieces hoping that I'll find a use. Sometimes it even works out- these were made from a Woodcraft Magazine project. The black pieces were from some African Blackwood savings-

Chopsticks.thumb.JPG.fd0da85b6a89949702aee925cbc04a1f.JPG

IMG_2052.thumb.JPG.1e202be1b9821b36d32c4d6598d3d0a4.JPG

Edited by lew

On 6/20/2017 at 1:03 PM, lew said:

I usually save anything that doesn't go thru the shop vac hose. But, honestly, the scrap bin gets dumped every now and then. I do save the "exotic" pieces hoping that I'll find a use. Sometimes it even works out- these were made from a Woodcraft Magazine project. The black pieces were from some African Blackwood savings-

Chopsticks.thumb.JPG.fd0da85b6a89949702aee925cbc04a1f.JPG

IMG_2052.thumb.JPG.1e202be1b9821b36d32c4d6598d3d0a4.JPG

Lew - those are beautiful, but what are they?  Toothpicks or pool cues?

Cal

I glue up blanks from wood and acrylic scraps,  Some times just wood and sometimes wood with acrylic accents.  I also will divide layers with different veneers or, like mentioned by John I'll use old gift cards or something like that.  

I have also glued up several into larger blanks for projects like Kaleidoscopes and usually make a matching flat blank and turn it for a neat matching pedestal, those usually sell first even though the price is higher.

I have also used them to make decorative pulls  for jewelry boxes and turned some pendants for necklaces.

If they are just plain pieces they can be use for utility drawer pulls and even stops or glue block inside a cabinet.