Fred W. Hargis Jr

Non woven abrasive pads

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I use them for rubbing out finishes, either between coats, or to repair damage or adjust sheen.

For between coats, sandpaper will cut down the high spots and Scotch-Brite will provide an even dullness.

As Fred mentioned, using steel wool on waterborne finishes is asking for trouble if there are any pieces of metal left behind.

I also use them for stripping finishes to get off the last little bits of finish by dipping the pad in acetone or lacquer thinner.

schnewj, HARO50 and clhyer like this

13 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Too bad you boys don't know squat.  You and Fred too.

Um, ok.  Thanks for that.

If you don't need a whole pack (took a while to find them, have to get past cleaning/scouring pads, but they have them)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-3-7-8-in-x-6-in-x-1-4-in-9-84-cm-x-15-2-cm-x-0-635-Ultra-Fine-Finishing-Hand-Sanding-Pads-2-Pack-7448/301118025

Never did find them listed for Menards or Lowe's.   Sherwin-Williams carries them but pricing is dependent upon customer status (pro vs. homeowner, etc.)

HARO50 likes this

1 hour ago, kmealy said:

If you don't need a whole pack (took a while to find them, have to get past cleaning/scouring pads, but they have them)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-3-7-8-in-x-6-in-x-1-4-in-9-84-cm-x-15-2-cm-x-0-635-Ultra-Fine-Finishing-Hand-Sanding-Pads-2-Pack-7448/301118025

Never did find them listed for Menards or Lowe's.   Sherwin-Williams carries them but pricing is dependent upon customer status (pro vs. homeowner, etc.)

Being, ah, frugal, yah, that's it, frugal I would still buy by the box. That way it ends up working out to about $1 a sheet instead of $2.77 for slightly less than one sheet. I find more and more uses for them and I first started using them back in the early 80's.

Something else to consider, they, also, make round pads that you could use with a ROS.

HandyDan, HARO50, Stick486 and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, schnewj said:

Being, ah, frugal, yah, that's it, frugal I would still buy by the box. That way it ends up working out to about $1 a sheet instead of $2.77 for slightly less than one sheet. I find more and more uses for them and I first started using them back in the early 80's.

Something else to consider, they, also, make round pads that you could use with a ROS.

A niece of mine once said,  "If you're frugal, you do it all the time, otherwise, you're just being cheap."

So, Frugal it is.

I buy the boxes, too, at my local paint store or wwhardware.com when I have an order.  I usually slice the big ones in half, being a more convenient size, yeah, that's it, convenient.

clhyer, HARO50 and HandyDan like this

22 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

I'll stoop to pick a penny off the ground. After all, 3000 of them "is a lot of money.":D 

Quit trying to be frugal.  It should be 30,000 pennies is a lot of money.

Gene Howe and HARO50 like this

14 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Oops. 

I'm up to a lifetime count of 327! :rolleyes:

HARO50 and Gene Howe like this

Reminds me of the time when they were collecting pennies locally to help pay for the local wood jungle gym thing at the playground.   we had over 1,000,000 pennies on tarps on the gymnasium  floor at the local school.   someplace we probably still have pictures.   I helped them bag those up and truck them to the local hoosegow overnight until the bank opened in the

morning and then we took them to the bank to be counted and rolled.   If nothing else; it was heavy.

And yes, i pick up any money i see laying around.  If it's folding stuff i try to find an owner (or like a wallet, took it into the nearby store since i figured the person had just come out of there).  

schnewj, Gene Howe and HARO50 like this

On 6/22/2017 at 6:23 PM, schnewj said:

I'm up to a lifetime count of 327! :rolleyes:

I've pulled up to $10 in change out of a recliner.

HandyDan, Gene Howe and HARO50 like this

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:10 PM, p_toad said:

And yes, i pick up any money i see laying around.  If it's folding stuff i try to find an owner (or like a wallet, took it into the nearby store since i figured the person had just come out of there).

A wallet found these days usually has cards and no cash.

1 hour ago, HandyDan said:

A wallet found these days usually has cards and no cash.

and you know this how...

and mine has neither...

54 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

and you know this how...

and mine has neither...

Where ever you go you have to wait for a everyone to have their card run.  I did find a wallet a couple years ago with two dollars and enough credit cards that made the wallet 3" thick.  Guy it belonged to said he laid it on the trunk of his car and drove off.  Guess it wouldn't fit in his back pocket.