I was just catching up on the posts and saw this...my condolences, also, Dan. I know that it is extremely difficult to lose someone you watched grow up and how difficult  this must have been for you. I'm sure that you making the urns adds so much more meaning for everyone.

Edited by schnewj

Dan;  I need to turn some urns for pets and some for human use. How did you determine the correct volume/size for the pieces ? I am sorry for your loss. Nice turnings.

Edited by Garyk
added text

1 hour ago, Garyk said:

Dan;  I need to turn some urns for pets and some for human use. How did you determine the correct volume/size for the pieces ? I am sorry for your loss. Nice turnings.

Thanks Gary.  In this case I had the ashes but the calculation most commonly used is one cubic inch per pound of the living being.  Here is a link to a calculator.  Gives in cups and cubic inches.  Number of cups may be better for use in turned urns.

https://www.artisurn.com/pages/urn-size-calculator

Thanks for the info Dan. I had a class with Mike Mahoney a while back @ Carolina Mountain Woodturners but we only covered the mechanics and didn't discuss the sizing. The ones we made were mini's. I got a "C" for technique, a "B" for persistence and an "A+" in blowing the bottoms out. I have the ashes for the pups but will have to guess at the larger one's.