Video/Pictorial Tutorials (Under Review)

schnewj

Sounds like a great idea to me!  I am the type of person that grasps new ideas/concepts better by seeing & hearing over reading.  I sometimes have to read a sentence/paragraph several times before I feel I understand it.

Cal

I've seen a few that Steve Krumanaker has done, and thought they were good. But I'll be honest., I don't watch too many videos on the computer. Usually if a thread has a link to a youtube video, I'll just close the message and move on.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

12 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I've seen a few that Steve Krumanaker has done, and thought they were good. But I'll be honest., I don't watch too many videos on the computer. Usually if a thread has a link to a youtube video, I'll just close the message and move on.

I understand your feeling, Fred. However, there are a lot of people out there who do  want to learn, but they are just plain confused about how to do something, or are too afraid to try it. This is where something like a video would come in handy. Instead of being too embarrassed to ask "a stupid question" they could learn basics, try new things, or untried methods.

To pick on myself, like many I hate to finish. To some people finishing is just plain voodoo! Do I do this, or do I do that, what do I use first, what do you mean I can't use this with that? You can print all the words and charts you want and it will still leave a doubt in some peoples minds. If you show them visually, it may click and turn on the light bulb. What good is building something, if you never finish the job because your uncomfortable with how to apply the RIGHT finish?

Another BIG plus is drawing in the beginners. Not all of us are experts and have honed skills and knowledge with years of use. If I am a new wanna be woodworker and I come across a How-To video on Thepatriotwoodworker.com, and I see all of the talent and knowledge here, then I am more likely to join the group and try and learn. Without the "youngsters" learning from the "old" folks the craft just plain dies out and fades away. Why do you think that all of these woodworking shows on TV are so popular? They are visual and have gotten many of us into the hobby.

Isn't that another plus?  Face it, this is a social club. We teach, learn, show our talents, make friends, and hopefully make a difference in each others lives. This would just be another way to improve the quality of the forum and draw in others. In addition, it could teach some old dogs some new tricks.

3 hours ago, lew said:

I wonder if it would be better to include videos/tutorials in the forum(s) to which they pertain rather than separating them out by themselves?

Or, would they fit better in the blogs area??

Most of the other forums keep them all in a separate forum all to themselves. That way if someone goes to the video forum they can pick and choose which one to watch. If you include them in the individual forums they will eventually get buried.

Just my thoughts!

We should also be able to share YouTube Videos or any videos from other services as well, such as Vimeo. There are a ton of woodworking related videos that are open source for sharing. We should be able to link directly to those videos, and all videos would be categorized and shown here locally.

Just think "Links Directory" but for videos.

9 hours ago, John Morris said:

We should also be able to share YouTube Videos or any videos from other services as well, such as Vimeo. There are a ton of woodworking related videos that are open source for sharing. We should be able to link directly to those videos, and all videos would be categorized and shown here locally.

Just think "Links Directory" but for videos.

I hadn't given that a thought...it wouldn't have to be limited to "self-produced" material. There are a lot of open sourced, high quality videos available, as well as, step by step pictorials that describe how to do something.

However, it's always nice to see the "stuff" produced by the members. I'm sure that there are several here who have made videos, or step by step presentations that they have done, in their archives. I did one here a few months ago on refurbishing a Stanley #4 1/2 plane. Although, I would have to go through it to make sure it was more of a step by step, rather than a progress pictorial.

Good suggestion, John.

17 minutes ago, schnewj said:

I hadn't given that a thought...it wouldn't have to be limited to "self-produced" material. There are a lot of open sourced, high quality videos available, as well as, step by step pictorials that describe how to do something.

However, it's always nice to see the "stuff" produced by the members. I'm sure that there are several here who have made videos, or step by step presentations that they have done, in their archives. I did one here a few months ago on refurbishing a Stanley #4 1/2 plane. Although, I would have to go through it to make sure it was more of a step by step, rather than a progress pictorial.

Good suggestion, John.

Yes, also our members produce videos and upload them to YouTube anyway, that would be the preferred method on our side, use YouTube's resources in lieu of ours, and we can host them here. To upload videos to our server directly takes an incredible amount of space.

My objection to videos,is that most these guys doing them think they either are or have to be comedians,or have tricky music to present the subject. I don't watch many for that reason, just Blah,Blah, Blah.

A series of picture is more informative to me, as I can go back and forth and study, and compare results better than trying to go back in a video and relook at a certain operation.

Just not my thing I guess,

Herb

1 minute ago, Dadio said:

My objection to videos,is that most these guys doing them think they either are or have to be comedians,or have tricky music to present the subject. I don't watch many for that reason, just Blah,Blah, Blah.

A series of picture is more informative to me, as I can go back and forth and study, and compare results better than trying to go back in a video and relook at a certain operation.

Just not my thing I guess,

Herb

I feel your pain on that point.

However, the videos don't have to be painful if they are done right. Again, we wouldn't have to limit it to just that format...step by step pictorials would be great, also. Again, for the reasons that you give.

I am a fan of the step by step method when showing the methods used to create an object.  Video is the way to go if the proper use of a tool or similar scenario is being depicted.  Example:  Presenting the bowl gouge to the wood for the proper cut without getting a snag.

• 2 months later...