TGIF: OAG - Orange Apron Guys/Gals

kmealy

Rule #5

Be wary of any advice from someone wearing an apron in the paint department,  Enough said.   They may know paint but that doesn't mean they know wood finishing.

It's just as likely they transferred from the plumbing department or hardware.  Or McDonalds.

They move a lot of paint.   But they may not have painted a lot.  Even if they did, they may know diddly squat about clear finishes.  Most of them carry little product besides row upon row of consumer-grade stains and poly.   Even Bob Flexner, who early in his career, got a lot of advice from a local paint store guy, Glen.   From this, he developed his "Half-right rule"   Half what you hear or read about wood finishing is true.  You just don't know which half.
     http://www.popularwoodworking.com/articleindex/my-half-right-rule

I even remember going to a Sherwin-Williams store and asking if they carry shellac, looking for SealCoat.  The store manager's response, "We have shellac primer!"  

"Nope, that's not going to work."  I said.

A minute later, "Just what do you use shellac for?"

You may luck out and find a good resource, but I think Bob's half rule is generous at the big box.

I got called on this observation on another forum, by an OAG.  I challenged him to walk into 10 big box home centers and ask for "oil-based VanDyke glaze."   Watch for the glazed-over eyes.

Ever had a "Glen" who lead you astray?  Or a "Hi, I"m..." that had no idea what you were talking about?

To me, it goes beyond finishing into every part of the store...but I do think it's a notch or two worse with finishing. In their defense, those stores don't really cater (much) to woodworker's....but that's a very weak excuse. Around me, even the "real" paint stores are not much better. Just last week I went into SW and asked if they had the All Surface oil based exterior paint. I wanted a can of untinted deep base to try for outdoor use. the fellow I asked was not a kid, more like 40, and he admitted he didn't know what it was. Then he pulled out his Iphone and asked it; Siri replied she had no info on it. Then he started searching on his computer and I mentioned it wasn't worth the trouble, I only want a quart. His reply: it's probably in our industrial line and only comes in gallons. Sheesh..... BTW I did get a quart, but only after I came home and got the stock number with my own search, then I went to another store and it was right on the shelf.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

A few years ago, I gave a class to the employees at a local woodworking store.  I was a bit surprised at their lack of knowledge with the exception of one part-timer.   A while later, I went to one of their free sessions on GF Milk paint.   The guy had obviously done it just once, to prepare for the class and was a bit intimidated when I showed up.

There was one somewhat knowledgeable guy at the other ww store, but he got swept up in a housecleaning of employees and managers.  Don't know what happened to him.

On the other hand, Steve Mickley, which some of you may remember from WOOD Forums (and articles) was a custom cabinet maker and when he got too old to handle it, worked in a local lumber/woodworking store until they decided to close it.   He then opened his own store and gave good finishing advice until he retired and moved to the woods and mountains to fish.

I will sometimes find myself in the paint department of big boxes waiting for service and have to correct the staff and give advice to a customer needing some help.

I love it when I come across those people wandering the aisles, with a hand full of parts and a glazed over look. You just know that they have no idea what they want or need. They only have an end goal in mind and no clue as to how to get there.

I'm sure that there has to be a corollary, axiom, or something, that, say; there's always a store associate there when you don't need them, never one when you do, or the guy's whose section it is just went on break.

Anyway, if I find these people staring at the shelves and talking to themselves, I have to ask if I can help. Generally, I tell them to put all of that crap back...you need this, this and that. The bad part is that 50% of the time the one key thing they need is either out of stock, or isn't even carried. BORG is famous for that!

On the other side of the coin. On VERY rare occasions I have found someone wearing an Orange apron that, actually knew there stuff.