Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

kmealy

To Pegboard or not to Pegboard

Rate this topic

On 6/14/2017 at 6:16 PM, kmealy said:

Just found out Gerstner's Spring sale / open house is this Friday and Saturday.    Too hot and rainy to do anything else, so I might have to go.

Decided to make the trip up today since I was 1/3 of the way there already for something else.   Nice old 1906 industrial building.   A bit disappointed in the offerings.  Some factory seconds, some returns (some looked like they were as old as me), some unfinished, some with unfinished replacement parts, some prototypes, some missing hardware, some just parts (drawers and tills), and some "project boxes."  Prices from $99 to $1499.  

Most surprising, or perhaps not, they have a "National Line" (code for Made in USA) and "International Line"  (code for made in China).   The national line seemed to be mostly 1/2" plywood, at least until you got into big bucks.   The international line was solid wood but some of the joinery was pretty sloppy (fill with glue and sawdust).  

If you ever go, their address is 20 Gerstner St., but your GPS might say 20 Cincinnati Street.   About 1 mile south of downtown Dayton, near Univ. of Dayton and right off Edward  C.. Moses Blvd.. exit on I-75.  On the banks of the beautiful Great Miami River.

I guess if I ever want one, I'll have to deal with greedy heirs.

Gene,  hasn't happened again, guess the Law of Averages, or something caught up with me.

As you may have noticed, it isn't in my messed up workshop.  It has lived in an office/ craft room, used for ship model repair etc, with all my craft tools.  Been that way since I got it, and always will until I'm gone.

4 hours ago, Old Coasty said:

Gene,  hasn't happened again, guess the Law of Averages, or something caught up with me.

As you may have noticed, it isn't in my messed up workshop.  It has lived in an office/ craft room, used for ship model repair etc, with all my craft tools.  Been that way since I got it, and always will until I'm gone.

I did notice a conspicuous lack of dust and clutter. :D

It wouldn't live in my shop, either. 

I love the idea of the foam, but when the cost of the storage exceeds the cost of the tools BEING stored, it sort of defeats the purpose. :(

John

41 minutes ago, HARO50 said:

I love the idea of the foam, but when the cost of the storage exceeds the cost of the tools BEING stored, it sort of defeats the purpose. :(

John

It is not cheap but makes it easier to retrieve tools and the cost not that bad

http://www.rockler.com/fastcap-kaizen-tool-storage-foam?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&sid=V9146&gclid=CLyEpNO5ytQCFUo6gQodY7cCgA

$23 for 2' X 4' 21/4 thick and you can separate it and make 2 sheet of 1 inch thick. Keeps planes from rubbing each other in a drawer. I figure the tools cost a lot more than the foam

56 minutes ago, HARO50 said:

John

John, I agree with your sentiments regarding the cost.  I saw a marketing video for it and was impressed so I just wanted to give it a try.  I do like it, but I'll be giving it a lot of thought before I buy more of it.

For my gun cases and boxes, it's the cat's meow. It's great for French fitting like you've done for tools. Easy to upholster, too.

I use to cut the piece's outline in 1/4" ply and cover it with leather but, the Kaizen stuff is so much faster and forgiving.

Y'all are right. It ain't cheap but, I'm not lining a tool cabinet full of drawers, either.