To Pegboard or not to Pegboard

kmealy

On 6/14/2017 at 6:16 PM, kmealy said:

Just found out Gerstner's Spring sale / open house is this Friday and Saturday.    Too hot and rainy to do anything else, so I might have to go.

Decided to make the trip up today since I was 1/3 of the way there already for something else.   Nice old 1906 industrial building.   A bit disappointed in the offerings.  Some factory seconds, some returns (some looked like they were as old as me), some unfinished, some with unfinished replacement parts, some prototypes, some missing hardware, some just parts (drawers and tills), and some "project boxes."  Prices from $99 to $1499.  

Most surprising, or perhaps not, they have a "National Line" (code for Made in USA) and "International Line"  (code for made in China).   The national line seemed to be mostly 1/2" plywood, at least until you got into big bucks.   The international line was solid wood but some of the joinery was pretty sloppy (fill with glue and sawdust).  

If you ever go, their address is 20 Gerstner St., but your GPS might say 20 Cincinnati Street.   About 1 mile south of downtown Dayton, near Univ. of Dayton and right off Edward  C.. Moses Blvd.. exit on I-75.  On the banks of the beautiful Great Miami River.

I guess if I ever want one, I'll have to deal with greedy heirs.

Gene,  hasn't happened again, guess the Law of Averages, or something caught up with me.

As you may have noticed, it isn't in my messed up workshop.  It has lived in an office/ craft room, used for ship model repair etc, with all my craft tools.  Been that way since I got it, and always will until I'm gone.

4 hours ago, Old Coasty said:

Gene,  hasn't happened again, guess the Law of Averages, or something caught up with me.

As you may have noticed, it isn't in my messed up workshop.  It has lived in an office/ craft room, used for ship model repair etc, with all my craft tools.  Been that way since I got it, and always will until I'm gone.

I did notice a conspicuous lack of dust and clutter. :D

It wouldn't live in my shop, either. 

41 minutes ago, HARO50 said:

I love the idea of the foam, but when the cost of the storage exceeds the cost of the tools BEING stored, it sort of defeats the purpose. :(

John

It is not cheap but makes it easier to retrieve tools and the cost not that bad

http://www.rockler.com/fastcap-kaizen-tool-storage-foam?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&sid=V9146&gclid=CLyEpNO5ytQCFUo6gQodY7cCgA

$23 for 2' X 4' 21/4 thick and you can separate it and make 2 sheet of 1 inch thick. Keeps planes from rubbing each other in a drawer. I figure the tools cost a lot more than the foam

56 minutes ago, HARO50 said:

I love the idea of the foam, but when the cost of the storage exceeds the cost of the tools BEING stored, it sort of defeats the purpose. :(

John

John, I agree with your sentiments regarding the cost.  I saw a marketing video for it and was impressed so I just wanted to give it a try.  I do like it, but I'll be giving it a lot of thought before I buy more of it.

For my gun cases and boxes, it's the cat's meow. It's great for French fitting like you've done for tools. Easy to upholster, too.

I use to cut the piece's outline in 1/4" ply and cover it with leather but, the Kaizen stuff is so much faster and forgiving.

Y'all are right. It ain't cheap but, I'm not lining a tool cabinet full of drawers, either.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have pegboard but the previous owner installed it.  Not crazy about it. Never have understood why people put hooks up and then place wrenches on them.  That's what a toolbox is for, keep them all laid out nice and ready to go.  I did install in on the ceiling years ago, and that has worked okay but if you hit it with a 2x4 you get dust, so not such a good idea.

IMG_0620.JPG.f8f96c948d8b37ad4ad936401887596a.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG.ee9bf3ab988c56457cc9b03ffb3d0c79.JPG

11 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

@Artie  How do you like that Bosch router table?  I fashioned my router table / cabinet after some of its design.

IMG_0803.JPG.d98ac896c0fd459e193c35cae90f999a.JPG

I can’t seem to dial in the router plate to the table perfectly. There always seems to be one corner that is too low or high. I seem to have it perfect, use it and then it seems to be....unperfect. (I’m guessing operator error LOL)

I tried peg bd. but had the same problem with hooks falling out. Put some silicone caulk on some. Maybe if I'd seen the locking clips....  I keep the items I constantly use close at hand on dedicated storage on the wall or tool. All others go in mechanics roll around cabinets & chests. Drawers labeled with generic item "measuring," "sharpening," etc. using sharpies. If I change something I can just wipe the sharpie off with some solvent. Files are in wooden slots, treasured tools in dedicated divided spaces. I need to get another roll around cabinet & chest.