kmealy

To Pegboard or not to Pegboard

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Just saw a handy workshop hint to use pegboard for your tools.   While I've had pegboard, I've gotten away from it, thinking it's a relatively inefficient way to store tools.   I much prefer my mechanic's chest that sits next to my workbench.   A drawer for knives, others for chisels, saws, hammers, measuring and marking, router bits, drill bits, rasps & chisels, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.  I'd take me a 12' wall to hold what my chest does in 30"  Besides, it keeps them cleaner and if I get a new tool, I don't have to rearrange everything to get it next to its friends.

What's your take on this?

John Moody likes this

8 hours ago, p_toad said:

could use the wallspace for pegboard or a couple of tool boxes to store (more) stuff in...   any suggestions for storing those files and rasps so they're not banging into one another?

If you don't have a lot (yea, right), you can build a divided box/drawer.   I made some covers from 1/4" plywood that I slip them in then put them in a drawer.

HARO50 and p_toad like this

I think a small piece is useful for some things, but generally speaking I don't like it. Our last house had one entire wall finished in pegboard; somewhere in the 5 years we lived there I tore it out and drywalled over the studs.

HARO50 likes this

I have some pegboard up but to tell the truth, I wish I had it all in cabinets and drawers.

Posted (edited)

when i was in Jr. HS, i took shop class, and the teacher had his own way of storing tools.  then in HS, that teacher had his own way of storing tools (different, of course).  years ago i got Wood magazine, and also looked at their website, and almost every month they'd feature a shop and the owner would show it off and you could see how they stored their tools.  all different.

so obviously, there is no one right way to store YOUR tools that someone else can impose on you.  we all work in different size and shape shops, we have different amounts and kinds of tools, we have different types of work we do and different ways of doing it.  so there cannot be only one right way that would apply to all.

i'm thankful that i learned what works for me first in my small basement shop, then in a larger shop in a converted horse barn, and now finally in my dedicated shop.  even then, i've built in flexibility.  all work benches are on casters, so they can be moved if desired.  all cabinets and pegboard sections hang on french cleats, so they can be easily moved if desired.

you have to use a space for a bit to learn what works well for you.

DAB.

Edited by DAB (see edit history)
clhyer, PostalTom, HARO50 and 1 other like this

Yeah for years, I wanted to build a nice tool cabinet.   Problem was, my methods were still evolving and I didn't want to build a tool chest that no longer worked for my style or my working set.   Finally, I just bought the mechanic's chest and wish I'd done it 20 years earlier.

Went through the same thing when I started in business.   I thought I'd just carry in the few tools I thought I'd need for the job.  Almost always, within the first couple of minutes, I'd need something else, then again.   Finally got a tool tote and carry it all in even if I think I only need a screwdriver.   Every tool in there has earned its place, or it gets put back in storage.   I am surprised because the heaviest thing in my tote is a 14 oz hammer, yet it weighs about 40 lb.  I'd love to have one of those backpack totes, but they're a little too pricey for my tastes.  At least the ProPac models were, it seems like there are more choices now.

HARO50, clhyer and John Moody like this

13 hours ago, p_toad said:

could use the wallspace for pegboard or a couple of tool boxes to store (more) stuff in...   any suggestions for storing those files and rasps so they're not banging into one another?

I used a small board with kerfs in it to accommodate the files and there is no contact between different ones.

p_toad and clhyer like this

I face the other challenge.  I have lots of tools but since the move they have never been organized.  I want to put them in drawers to keep the clean protected and organized.  I am even considering the old spray the outline of the tool to know where it goes back.  Because I often lose tools only to purchase another then six months later find both!:)  For me drawers with liners with felt cut to represent the outline.  What do you all think of this approach?  

I hang stuff on the walls if it's stuff I am going to use very frequently. If not it's got to have a more efficient home.