MWTCA June 2017 "What's It" Project

Ok ladies and gentlemen, we now have our June "What's it" live and ready!

The image(s) below is a MWTCA "What's It" image for you to research, and tell us all here in this topic post, just what the heck is it!

Remember, the first accurate answer wins a one year membership to the awesome organization MWTCA!

If an accurate answer cannot be arrived at by the end of the current calendar month this project is posted, a random drawing will be held to include anyone who participated in this months What's It. One winner will be chosen to receive a calendar year membership to MWTCA and all of it's wonderful benefits of membership. Compliments of The Patriot Woodworker Community.

For a run down on this project and the rules, please see this page at "The Patriot Woodworker and MWTCA "What's It" project"

A different "What's It"

This is a unique What's it. Since we already know what it is, there is a specific question regarding this saw.

What we are looking for is a specific answer to the following question.

"I picked up this old Disston at a yard sale and I can't find anything like it.....it has a copper blade. It is magnetic, so I assume it's copper coated. Do you have any information on why a saw would be copper? Should I sand it to find the etching?"

152-12.jpg.jpeg

I go with Stevens answer, copper plating tools was to prevent sparks when working in an explosive atmosphere. Might have been used in coal mine, oil fields, petroleum refinery, any confined area that might have combustibles or contestable fumes, another thing comes to mind, an ammunition bunker.

Herb

Does it show any signs of wear?  Plated or no, if it were for actual use I would expect the teeth to have the plating worn off as well as scratch marks, etc.  Without evidence of use my vote would be for decorative purposes.

Is the saw itself magnetic, or that magnets stick to it?

You asked if magnetism can transfer, sure.  You can get a screwdriver to be magnetic for a short while by storing it with a magnet.

Cal

1 minute ago, Chips N Dust said:

I got the same thing Herb. I did not follow the directions, instead, I closed and re-started my computer.

I also had several postings go missing

Was that you that made the comment on musical saws?

The last post I have now is JM talking about copper coating.

Herb