Rate this topic

Someone over on woodnet gushed about this lumberman in Indiana, a bit NW of Ft Wayne.   Thought I'd pass it along.

http://woodsbygwgreen.com/

There is also a place in SE Indiana, Wilhelm Lumber.  Very folksy place.   You tell Beau what wood(s) you are interested in and he'll pull down a skid and let you sort through.  Then you can have it straight line ripped, planed to whatever thickness you want, and surface sanded, all at your option.

We got nothing like what you guys are describing in our area, I am envious.

Here if they got Ruff,you get Ruff, S2S,you get S2S, S3E, you get S3S, and so on. If you beg the might cut it in half or cut off a couple of feet,but you have to take the whole board,  Sometimes you have to take off the top of the pile, no picking and choosing.. The Big Box stores let you pick thru and will cut for no charge. Not many hardwood store choices. A lot of lumber yards will order what you want, but you have to take what comes in.

Herb

Frank Miller is still my first stop for mist stuff, but I'll have to give the Ft. Wayne guy a try...it's only slightly further.

10 hours ago, John Morris said:

We got nothing like what you guys are describing in our area, I am envious.

DITTO....in spades.

Frank Miller specialized in QS and QR lumber.  They have seasonal sales when you bid on a pallet.  I would definitely give them a chance.

On 5/24/2017 at 8:54 AM, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Frank Miller is still my first stop for mist stuff, but I'll have to give the Ft. Wayne guy a try...it's only slightly further.

Yes,  I have gotten a number of orders delivered and picked up at FML.  Not only great QSWO, but domestic plywoods.  They'd deliver to my door and unload for me to the garage.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to C R Muterspaw in Xenia, OH (east of Dayto n), since I'm a lot closer to him now.  Nice rustic place (there was a goat and a pony on the other side of the wall from the "main office")   Glen Huey did an interview with Chad on 360w/w and I decided to try.  He's got some good stuff there, too.

Mutespaw sure has some strange store hours. I was trying to find a lot of QS sycamore a couple of years ago and talked to them. They assured me they had some logs to be sawed and would let me know when it was ready for sale. Never heard from them. Most of my sisters live around Wilmington these days, so I'll get there eventually along with one of my family visit trips.